PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I was a Lurker for a while, but that's because I was a noob and most of my questions were already being answered in the various forums.

Now I pipe up (see what I did there) occasionally if I believe that I have some type of information to share with someone who is asking the same questions that I had back when I was really new.

I just sit back and listen to the Lifers and what they have to offer, because most have forgotten more about pipesmoking than I'll ever know. I doubt that I have anything new to inform them about.

But I'll agree that the community on this platform is extremely generous with their knowledge and happy to help the majority of the time. And for that, I thank them.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I am new in this forum, but not new to online forums. I am also newly back as a pipe smoker after a 20-year hiatus. My wife actually found some Capstan blue online and ordered it for me. She said you're under a lot of stress and I thought this might help. She was right! Today she even come in and that I'm sleeping better since I started smoking my pipes again.
I see the lurker status and was wondering how that is changed, is it by the number of posts a member makes or is it by time on the Forum?

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I am new in this forum, but not new to online forums. I am also newly back as a pipe smoker after a 20-year hiatus. My wife actually found some Capstan blue online and ordered it for me. She said you're under a lot of stress and I thought this might help. She was right! Today she even come in and that I'm sleeping better since I started smoking my pipes again.
I see the lurker status and was wondering how that is changed, is it by the number of posts a member makes or is it by time on the Forum?
I believe it’s based on number of posts. I also believe I’m about to become part of the furniture in a few more posts. 😁

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Posts. Keep posting and you'll be out of it in no time.
I thought that was probably the case. Thank you for your quick response. I am a member of a pocket knife forum and have over 18,000 posts on it (in 17 years) It shouldn't take me too long to move out of Lurker status.

One other thing I haven't figured out yet, how do you insert an emoticon in your post?

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
i
It's number of post. No one cares though. Their are a lot of new members that are experienced pipe smokers that should be lifers with lots of knowledge.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I lurked for a while before joining. I spent most of that time searching the forum for answers to what I felt were probably common newbie questions, and because I’d found answers to nearly all of them pretty quickly, I didn’t really need to post any questions.

The people here seemed to be a far more enjoyable crowd than many other Internet communities, so I joined and started interacting for the fun of it after learning which end of the pipe goes in my mouth.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
i

It's number of post. No one cares though. Their are a lot of new members that are experienced pipe smokers that should be lifers with lots of knowledge.
Agreed.

And somehow I'm a lifer who drools on himself with my posts. It's as though I fell down and went "boom".

Yet, they still allow me here and haven't revoked my posting abilities. I guess God truly does protect drunks and fools.

Silvrbdgr

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2023
Navarre, FL
I've found that by lurking, most of the information I look for is has all ready been covered. Don't want to piss anyone off by asking "that question" for the umpteenth million time. I quite like to read and enjoy a bowl or twelve at the same time. It combines two things I find relaxing. Plus, the dog likes to lay by my feet on the porch, after his "perimeter check" of course.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I've found that by lurking, most of the information I look for is has all ready been covered. Don't want to piss anyone off by asking "that question" for the umpteenth million time. I quite like to read and enjoy a bowl or twelve at the same time. It combines two things I find relaxing. Plus, the dog likes to lay by my feet on the porch, after his "perimeter check" of course.
You won't piss anyone off. If by chance you did, 20 others would come to your rescue. lol Great group here! I only met one asshole, and I like him lol .....He knows who he is. lmao

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL

Never be afraid to ask. We all had to learn one way or another. If we can save you time, money, pain…then I’m all for it. The answer you get may or may not be correct but we all have answers. 1673798912743.png

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I actually remember watching that Dave Letterman with Zevon on and it was near the end of his life and that was one of the things he was talking about, advice to give people.
Yeah exactly...I was watching then too. He was one of a kind in so many ways. I saw him live in a small venue on his Life'll Kill Ya tour. Really glad I did...I wouldn't have guessed at the time he'd be gone not long after.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I think that long-time lurkers are the people that want the information, but have no desire to be part to the social aspect here. I respect that, and to each their own. Perhaps they are antisocial people to begin with, or just don't have the time to stay and chat. Get the info they want, and get out.
Yep. This is me.

I’ve probably visited this website more than any other since 2016 and yet it took me a long, long time to post much because a) I never felt I had much to offer, b) I’ve seen so many online conversations elsewhere become uselessly divisive, and c) I was too busy changing diapers and trying to stay employed and married!

But rarely has a month gone by in 6-7 years now without visiting this site. I’m grateful for the community and wisdom and (most of the time) kindness! 😉

I’ve learned a ton and it’s grown my fondness for the wonderful hobby of pipe smoking.

My favorite moment so far: waking up one morning to a post from a kind forum member saying he had a Dunhill that looked to have a burn spot on it (but he wasn’t sure) and so the first person to reach out to him could have it… and either smoke it into pipe heaven or smoke it and enjoy owning a Dunny with a small area of discoloration.

Providence had it that I checked the forum earlier than usual that day, messaged the forum member, and received my first Dunhill a short while later. That pipe is a great smoker and the discoloration hasn’t proven to be a burn out spot (yet!). More than this, it’s a pipe that means a lot to me because of the gesture that sent it my way. Just so freaking cool! That was my first Dunhill.

If my post count could equal my appreciation for this forum, it would be in the millions.
Josh