PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ramon Allones

Lurker
Nov 19, 2020
You couldn't bring yourself to smoke it?

First some background, I have been a pipe smoker for 30 years and a lurker on here for many years - love the dialogue, education and opinions - even those I think are askew.

I smoke a wide range of leaf from lightly topped aromatics, english, scottish, ginnies, vapers, cigar leaf, and on and on.

Pipe wise I tend to go mid-size, plumper styles, typically with some sort of slight bend - more a holder than a clencher, but I run the gambit - my current rotation includes Peterson, Savinelli, Ardor, Dunny, Cavicchi, Castello, and Tinsky. I tend to prefer briar over mers, I tend to prefer sandblasts, but my aesthetic tastes vary also.

Okay, so let me get to my question. I recently bought a Ser Jacopo Historica 2020 Pulchra in Sandblast.

Now this was a really wild departure for me as I tend to opt for more understated looks and shapes, but there was just something about this pipe that kept saying "buy me, buy me. buy me..." And I did.

However I now find myself reluctant to smoke it, it is so beautiful, but so not me. Yet it still keeps calling my name.

So for weeks I have just looked at it, fondled it, thought about what would I christen the bowl with, but can't bring myself to pack and light it.

Almost afraid to sully it, knowing how it is just not me - worried I would smoke it a few times to only shelve it to be neglected.

I wonder should I just sell it to someone who will likely get far more use out of it? Assuming it smokes well it could become someone's most cherished pipe.

Or should I just wait and think about it?

Have you ever had this experience?

And what did you ultimately do?

RA

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 4.12.02 PM.png

Last edited:

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Welcome to the forum!

I have had this with clothes but not with pipes. I have bought T-shirts or pants that were wilder or louder than I am comfortable with wearing because they looked "cool'. These clothes typically end up not getting worn, so I try to imagine myself wearing clothes now before buying.

I think I would personally appreciate the pipe a bit longer and then sell the pipe unsmoked. I want to be completely happy with all the pipes I own and smoke.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Yes, I've four that I've a hard time lighting up for the first time. Two because they're too big (I bought them because they look terrific but I almost never smoke big bowls). And two smoke because they're either too pretty or too expensive. I don't sweat it too much though as I've got enough other pipes that I can use.

+1

If you have enough pipes, some can be 'ornaments'.

:)

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
About 2/3 of the pipes I have acquired have gone directly into the "strategic reserve" mostly unsmoked by me.

They are a mix of new and estate, cheap and "not cheap".

Similar to my cellar, which is half full of stuff I've never tried.

I may or may not like them all in the future. But if I don't, someone will.

It's OK to have an unsmoked pipe if your needs are otherwise met.

I have a rifle or two that rarely leave the safe under similar circumstances.

Welcome to the forum!

1605825193696.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
At one time I had two new pipes that I never smoked. Not expensive or anything special, a Stanwell and a Brebbia. I have enough pipes to smoke, so I never got around to smoking them. I gave the Stanwell to a nephew recently who just started smoking a pipe. The Brebbia still sits in a drawer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are different ways to enjoy ones pipes. I'm primarily a smoker of pipes, but I do own a few that I choose not to smoke, like my unsmoked 1907 Barling companion set, several other unsmoked Barlings, and a couple of other vintage pipes. I have no shortage of pipes to smoke and have no desire to smoke these vintage pieces. I simply enjoy having them. People who have a problem with this are welcome to keep it to themselves or talk it out with their shrinks.

With a particularly rare vintage pipe, that first match is going to be very expensive, since it will take about 30% to 50% off the market value. Though I have no intention of selling them, if I ever do have to sell them, they'll make me a tidy sum.

Also, you run a bit of a risk firing up a century old, or older, unsmoked pipe, since they may crack on the first smoke. Very expensive match in that event.