PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

lithicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2023
Pennsylvania
On Sept 9th, I made my first ever post here on the forums in the New Member Introductions section. On the same day, I also posted in the maintenance section about my learning lessons while deep cleaning my first ever tobacco pipe; an estate Dr Grabow Grand Duke. Many discouraged me from starting with an estate pipe; recommending I purchase a MM corncob instead and come back to the Grabow in the future. I mentioned that I was on a tight budget and what was done was done. I bought the Dr Grabow Grand Duke estate pipe before joining the forums because it looked like it was in decent condition, I liked the grain and shape, and I greatly preferred the look of briar over corncob. In fact, the beauty of briar is what sparked my interest in pipes to begin with. But, perhaps just as important due to my budget, I got a crazy good deal on the Dr Grabow Grand Duke estate pipe. It was less than the cheapest MM corncobs brand new once shipping was taken into account. And not only did I prefer briar over corncob, but I preferred to spend what money I had on tobacco and not a pipe(s).

On Sept 13th, not even 4 days after my first ever post, @Humblepipe contacted me over DM. I was caught off guard at first as they offered to send me one of their pipes free of charge. No shipping, no catch, no nothing. Just PURE generosity. I offered to send some tins of tobacco in the future and they refused. They simply wanted to help a newcomer out who couldn't otherwise afford a decent budget pipe.

The amount of thought that went into this incredibly generous gift was unprecedented. @Humblepipe clearly gave the gift thought as it was a similar shape to my Grabow and also had a smooth finish like my Grabow. I'm not even sure if they noticed or if I said something about it, but I love the look of birdseye compared to straight grain. They could've given me anything and I would've been happy with it. But, they found one that would fit my tastes and they nailed it!

The pipe was a gorgeous Butz Choquin Arlay 1403 from Saint Claude, France. It dates from 1970s to 1980s. Since receiving the pipe, I've smoked more than a handful of bowls out of it. And boy, does it smoke well! The draw is perfect, much better than my Grabow which takes a 6mm filter. I smoked my Grabow without a filter and without an adapter. And, I immediately noticed the difference and improved draw on the Butz Choquin. I also greatly prefer the stem on the Butz Choquin. It is wide and thin and fits so well in the mouth. I almost can't even tell it's there.

I absolutely LOVE the birdseye on this pipe which I tried to capture in one particular image below. There's also some other very beautiful grain features in this pipe. Not to mention, the contrast in color of this briar is mesmerizing!! I could not be happier!

So, I'm making this post. Not only to show off this amazing pipe, but because I also wanted to give a massive shout out to @Humblepipe. I believe they are an exemplary community member. One I feel we should all strive to be. I hope that sometime in the future, I too can pass on a pipe to a newcomer on a budget free of all charge.

THANK YOU @Humblepipe ... you are incredibly kind and will always remember you.

zZIQo6N.jpg

TU1nmfd.jpg

Aq2FaQI.jpg

Vxc6A9s.jpg

YRaPi7B.jpg

9aXcd3C.jpg

lithicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2023
Pennsylvania
This forum is overflowing with very generous folks, @Humblepipe among them. Congratulations on your new BC, a lovely pipe with very nice birdseye grain contrast and an archetypal Dublin. I hope it gives you many wonderful smokes.
Thank you and I agree. This is a great community! And, the grain contrast is truly impressive!!

That is some beautiful grain!
I feel like at one point I heard someone say that there's some birdseye grain that'll almost make you sea sick looking at it. I get what they mean now! 😅 You can really get lost in that grain. It is quite amazing! And the other features on the heel and stummel, for example, are amazing as well!

So glad it arrived safely. I have benefitted from the kindness of many here on the forum. I am glad to have made your day a little better, brother. Enjoy in good health.
Thank you again!! I hope one day I can pay it forward to another newcomer and continue the kindness of this fine community.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On Sept 9th, I made my first ever post here on the forums in the New Member Introductions section. On the same day, I also posted in the maintenance section about my learning lessons while deep cleaning my first ever tobacco pipe; an estate Dr Grabow Grand Duke. Many discouraged me from starting with an estate pipe; recommending I purchase a MM corncob instead and come back to the Grabow in the future. I mentioned that I was on a tight budget and what was done was done. I bought the Dr Grabow Grand Duke estate pipe before joining the forums because it looked like it was in decent condition, I liked the grain and shape, and I greatly preferred the look of briar over corncob. In fact, the beauty of briar is what sparked my interest in pipes to begin with. But, perhaps just as important due to my budget, I got a crazy good deal on the Dr Grabow Grand Duke estate pipe. It was less than the cheapest MM corncobs brand new once shipping was taken into account. And not only did I prefer briar over corncob, but I preferred to spend what money I had on tobacco and not a pipe(s).

On Sept 13th, not even 4 days after my first ever post, @Humblepipe contacted me over DM. I was caught off guard at first as they offered to send me one of their pipes free of charge. No shipping, no catch, no nothing. Just PURE generosity. I offered to send some tins of tobacco in the future and they refused. They simply wanted to help a newcomer out who couldn't otherwise afford a decent budget pipe.

The amount of thought that went into this incredibly generous gift was unprecedented. @Humblepipe clearly gave the gift thought as it was a similar shape to my Grabow and also had a smooth finish like my Grabow. I'm not even sure if they noticed or if I said something about it, but I love the look of birdseye compared to straight grain. They could've given me anything and I would've been happy with it. But, they found one that would fit my tastes and they nailed it!

The pipe was a gorgeous Butz Choquin Arlay 1403 from Saint Claude, France. It dates from 1970s to 1980s. Since receiving the pipe, I've smoked more than a handful of bowls out of it. And boy, does it smoke well! The draw is perfect, much better than my Grabow which takes a 6mm filter. I smoked my Grabow without a filter and without an adapter. And, I immediately noticed the difference and improved draw on the Butz Choquin. I also greatly prefer the stem on the Butz Choquin. It is wide and thin and fits so well in the mouth. I almost can't even tell it's there.

I absolutely LOVE the birdseye on this pipe which I tried to capture in one particular image below. There's also some other very beautiful grain features in this pipe. Not to mention, the contrast in color of this briar is mesmerizing!! I could not be happier!

So, I'm making this post. Not only to show off this amazing pipe, but because I also wanted to give a massive shout out to @Humblepipe. I believe they are an exemplary community member. One I feel we should all strive to be. I hope that sometime in the future, I too can pass on a pipe to a newcomer on a budget free of all charge.

THANK YOU @Humblepipe ... you are incredibly kind and will always remember you.

zZIQo6N.jpg

TU1nmfd.jpg

Aq2FaQI.jpg

Vxc6A9s.jpg

YRaPi7B.jpg

9aXcd3C.jpg
Beautiful pipe! Enjoy it in the best of health!
You can't even tell where they hid the listening device.

lithicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2023
Pennsylvania
Definitely cannot say enough about this community. I've gotten a ton of great advice being a newcomer and everyone has been very accepting and understanding.

I've smoked quite a few bowls out of this pipe by this point, but plan on smoking a whole lot more!!puffy