A Good Smoker

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

A beautiful pipe can be a sucky smoker and an ugly pipe can be an excellent smoker. Price plays no role in finding a good smoker except I would suggest your odds of finding a good smoker more often goes up commensurate with the price and quality of the pipe. Example: I have never had a bad Weaver. I've had plenty bad Savinellis but I also have good ones. puffy

I've never had a straight pipe gurgle, although some contrarians will post that they have.
Stays lit and light easy... operator issues.
The only pipes I would discount as being bad smokers that have passed through my rotation and into the garbage can has been pipes that just taste bad. Whether the briar is green or some nasty bowl coatings.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A pipe that delivers good flavors for me, practically smokes itself, makes me happy that I'm smoking it. Equipment is 25% and technique is 75%, but that 25% is crucial or the 75% ain't worth spit.
Don't care much about the occasional gurgle. Don't care much about the occasional whistle. It the pipe sounds like the last stages of a toilet flush, well, that's another matter.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I've seen many people refer to a pipe as "a good smoker." What is meant by this phrase? What makes a pipe "a good smoker" to you?

I know that there is no right or wrong answer to this and I fully expect to get a different answer from everyone, but I'm still curious. ?

Cheers.
To my mind, a good smoker is a pipe that requires the least amount of any kind of maintenance before, during and after a smoke; load and go. I have four: A Savinelli 2614 KS, A Barontini Gran Duc 1/2 bent billiard and a Peterson Kapmeer 999, a french made Algerian briar sitter (I suspect but can't prove a GBD second). I just load the tobacco, frequently light with just one match and they stay lit, the tobacco burns evenly to the bottom of the bowl, I rarely have to use a pipe cleaner, whatever I load smokes and tastes great, I just wipe clean for next smoke. The rest of my pipes, which I enjoy, require more maintenance whether relighting, running a pipe cleaner, tamping multiple times, adjusting stem, whatever, etc. As a result the four I mentioned are my travel pipes as well. I don't mind gurgle which I believe is a result of wet tobacco or dottle which I believe is a result of packing improperly; easily corrected by blowing into stem lightly.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A pipe which delivers a good experience, despite my shortcomings, each and every time it's loaded, lit and smoked.. I pay no attention to gurgles and relights as they are usually caused by me, the smoker. As long as it's bent to some degree or another, fits my fist, sits well between the back teeth, delivers some taste, etc. it's a good smoker.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll put it this way what makes a good knife? A variety of things but ultimately you don't have to fight with the knife to use it and the quality of the cut is good. Basically a good smoker is the the same. A variety of factors some not even explicable come together and you don't have to fight to smoke it and the quality of the smoke that comes out is good.
Which of course can be very personal. Meer for instance is not for me a good smoker. It's too light. I don't like the feel of it. I want to feel something more substantial. The quality of the smoke is great the pipe it's self is perfect really. Just bring that up to illustrate that my good smoker might not be yours and it could even be just that you find my favorite pipe ugly.
Oh and it's kind of like asking what's a gorgeous lady or man. We could all pontificate but until you see one you won't really know but once you do. (like if the prettiest lady in the world walked in, you wouldn't need to figure it out you'd know same thing with a good smoker).