PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
A good smoker is the one that imparts that lovely smokiness to my scotch! But then, I enjoy a good whisky. I also enjoy a good whiskey. Turns out, that I have enjoyed a few bad ones too. Is there a point to all of this? I think so, but I will be darned if I can remember what it was!
That said, the best smoking pipe I have is the one I happen to have in my hand right now. The rest are just sitting there looking pretty and not smoking at all.
-M.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I would side with Sable, it's more about the smoker than the pipe but would add that there are certain characteristics of individual pipes (draw, weight, bit style, etc.) that our individual preferences favor. When good technique meets preferred characteristics you get a good smoker.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I usually open all mine up because I like a wide open draw and most makers drill the airways too small for my liking.

I read about opening and the 'optimal' hole diameters in Newcombe's books. I was impressed by his mentioning that opened up pipes need less relighting. I wonder, though, if a more open draw would also exacerbate tongue bite. :?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I read about opening and the 'optimal' hole diameters in Newcombe's books. I was impressed by his mentioning that opened up pipes need less relighting. I wonder, though, if a more open draw would also exacerbate tongue bite. :?
I don't see why it would. I haven't experienced that issue with any of my more open modern pipes. But I also don't subscribe to the idea that a wider airway is a definite improvement. That's like saying that generations of pipemakers had no idea regarding how to make their pipes. I've certainly not had any issues with the draw of any of my vintage Britwood. I certainly haven't found the draw constricted on any of my older pipes. It's just a different preference.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX

If anything I think it would help with tongue bite because you won't be sucking as hard to get the smoke through, this way it allows you to gently sip the pipe to get a good amount of smoke, and yes the pipe stays lit much longer with much less effort.
A good smoker is the one that imparts that lovely smokiness to my scotch! But then, I enjoy a good whisky. I also enjoy a good whiskey. Turns out, that I have enjoyed a few bad ones too. Is there a point to all of this? I think so, but I will be darned if I can remember what it was!
That said, the best smoking pipe I have is the one I happen to have in my hand right now. The rest are just sitting there looking pretty and not smoking at all.
-M.
This post cracked me up! :rofl:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Or, "Pipes don't gurgle; smokers do!" Well, not completely true, as some poorly cured or designed pipes will gurgle much more readily than others.
As to Newcombe's optimum airway, it works for him, and if you believe strongly in it, it'll work for you: every pipe so opened will be transformed into the best smoker ever!
Me, I don't believe it one iota, so even if it's true, it won't work for me. As usual, YMMV; you might be a half-believer.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The more open the draw, the more air that will flow over the hot embers in the chamber. As a result, if the smoking cadence isn't reduced the pipe will smoke hotter. If you're a puffer that might not be so good. If, on the other hand, you're a sipper it can work out well. As has been suggested, it's the smoker not the pipe. Find a pipe that compliments your smoking style. Opening an air way doesn't produce some universal magic and that's especially true for aggressive smokers. Open airways often work well for slow, steady sipping but can render a pipe unsmokable to a more aggressive smoker. Sable is quite right in asserting that "Old Brit Briar" with more restricted air flows smoke as well, if not better, than many of their modern day counterparts. "Lots of air flow, lots of heat". If you have ever watched anyone operate a forge you understand the concept. There are far to many variables for a single simple solution to be true in all situations.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
1 + for Gloucester man, being still perhaps what we call aggressive smoker I just forced to give up with one of my pretty new pipe,its was those ones Monday morning'pipes produced by a reputable maker, nothing seemed to work with this sucker,even tighter packing or inserting a 3mm filter, the smoke itself was pretty windy'and often this pipe started gurgling,perhaps this was due to poorly drilled/ finished stem airway, whereas the draft hole in the mortise seemed to have properly drilled & centred, so I stopped giggling with this and sold it awayfor % 40 off of the original price.New Owner reports loving the pipe,and my %15 off discount coupon against the purchase of any new pipe remains still valid,,

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would have to agree with Jesse that for me it comes down to the person smoking the pipe, not necessarily the pipe itself.
I've had terrible smokes in my Straumbach meer and great smokes in my Straumbach meer, but it is the same Straumbach meer. The only variable is me and my method.

Status
Not open for further replies.