PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Saw that this morning. I enjoyed the insight it gave and also touching on the personal lives of some SP employees. Quite a lengthy article.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Going to try their stem cleaning technique (ultrasonic cleaner & denatured alcohol) tonight on a few manky stems I have on the bench - great article. I'd love to take a tour of this facility. SC is a long ways from my part of the world though... some day :)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
When reporters are unfamiliar with the subject they are covering, Part 10,003,652
The following passage clearly implies that SP has found a way to reverse ebonite oxidation. That is no more possible than changing lead into gold. Yet, for some reason, the 21st century's ebonite collectors (pens, radios, pipes, etc) remain as deludedly stubborn about it being Closely Guarded Secret Knowledge as the 16th and 17th century's believers in alchemic transmutation were certain that they'd soon be wealthy.
There is no Life Force in inanimate objects. Never has been, and never will be. When electrons get transferred (in solids, anyway), they stay transferred. The end.
Meaning removing the oxidized surface layer of a stem will ALWAYS reduce its physical dimensions, however the removal is accomplished. :roll:
aaaaaa.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I read that. The thing that caught my eye was the use of gel handsanitizer on sandblast bowl tops and removing build-up, without removing stain. I'll have to give that a try.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
By the way - I recently had very good results cleaning a heavily charred sandblasted bowl top with an electrical toothbrush made by Oral B. Only little pressure and a few minutes of brushing removed all the carbon and none of the stain. All that was done under running hot tap water.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I read that. The thing that caught my eye was the use of gel handsanitizer on sandblast bowl tops and removing build-up, without removing stain. I'll have to give that a try.
This intrigued me as well. We have a 4 month old daughter so we have assloads off the stuff laying around the house. Going to give it a try on a nasty old grabow soon. I do worry about that awful smell though...

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hand sanitizer?! One would think that due to the high alcohol content, it would very easily remove alcohol-based stains. I would definitely use a beater pipe for that test-trial. I can’t imagine how that wouldn’t remove stain. Please update us if you have any success.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would definitely use a beater pipe for that test-trial
Definitely. I have a grabow that came in a lot that is inevitably doomed regardless of whether the trick succeeds, and an old "thin-bite" that is not only horrifyingly dirty, it is one of the ugliest shit box pipes I have ever seen. They will be my outer space monkeys.......

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Good read indeed! Nice to know the backstory on the midlife re-origin of some of my favorite bowls. I still think of resto guys as mavens (Yeah, even you, Mike)), sort of human-prime. I've picked up a few of the SPC guys' wares (my Winslow, for example) & have never been less than thoroughly satisfied plusplus, same as everything I've bought from them. I consider myself incredibly lucky to be so close to them as to be able to scratch any of my itches within 2 days.
I hope that if I'm super-good for another 5-10 years I'll be allowed to visit them for a few minutes before I die. :)
Bill

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I've got an electric toothbrush that I use daily. Might have to dedicate one of those expensive brush heads to some rim cleaning and see how she does.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I consider myself incredibly lucky to be so close to them as to be able to scratch any of my itches within 2 days.
ME TOO!!!! Hahaha, most SP orders make it to AK within 3 days. Awesome stuff, estates and otherwise.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've got an electric toothbrush that I use daily. Might have to dedicate one of those expensive brush heads to some rim cleaning and see how she does.
Just remember to swap it back out before tomorrow morning....... :mrgreen:
Wish we had a puke emoji......

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I hope, that will work for you. I have two worn out brushes, that I dedicated to pipe cleaning. The one I use to get the dirt off. With the other one, I apply my mixture of oil and carnauba wax to the briar - that works way better than with a cloth, in my opinion. Then I polish by hand.
No need of switching! I recently read, that carbon whitens your teeth. ;-)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The thing that caught my eye was the use of gel handsanitizer on sandblast bowl tops and removing build-up, without removing stain. I'll have to give that a try.
Wet paper towel.
20190109_1744082.jpg

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/savinelli-humidor-614-restoration-pic-heavy

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
AK, you're jes' a mess. -laugh-
Fastest service I've ever gotten was a Preben Holm IIS that I ordered late one Monday, & got about 2:00 the next afternoon. Top that, ya bum. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.