PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
A haunting quote that prefaces the book I've been reading, titled 'A Wolf Called Romeo' - a beautiful story about a lone wolf who appeared near Juneau, Alaska and became friends with many of the residents and their dogs, staying there for many years until he was illegally killed by poachers. I highly recommend it to any fellow animal lovers out there.

IMG_2853.jpeg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
A haunting quote that prefaces the book I've been reading, titled 'A Wolf Called Romeo' - a beautiful story about a lone wolf who appeared near Juneau, Alaska and became friends with many of the residents and their dogs, staying there for many years until he was illegally killed by poachers. I highly recommend it to any fellow animal lovers out there.

View attachment 240685
Is there a season on wolves in Alaska?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It's amazing that people don't realize how big wolves really are, they picture these little dog sized things.View attachment 240755
I'm curious if there is a source for that picture ? That looks, to me, to be a specific breed of animal rather than common wolf although I could be wrong. We have normal Northeastern wolves around here and while larger than a shepherd are not much larger.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm curious if there is a source for that picture ? That looks, to me, to be a specific breed of animal rather than common wolf although I could be wrong. We have normal Northeastern wolves around here and while larger than a shepherd are not much larger.
Yah the source is your mo...lol .. no actually that's the wolf from Game of Thrones, now deceased. They are bigger than Great Danes with more strength and girth to them. I don't feel like doing homework this weekend so no googling pics.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Yah the source is your mo...lol .. no actually that's the wolf from Game of Thrones, now deceased. They are bigger than Great Danes with more strength and girth to them. I don't feel like doing homework this weekend so no googling pics.
Thanks, Now I know. I like dogs so this may only be of interest to me. That's not a direwolf it is a Northern Inuit dog. Direwolves are extinct but were not wolves but dogs. But a new study of dire wolf genetics has startled paleontologists: it found that these animals were not wolves at all, but rather the last of a dog lineage that evolved in North America.
Northern Inuit dogs were used to represent direwolves:

Reactions: Snook