PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Orlik with hand cut stems : The two best grade st. grains, Old Bond Street, Supreme, Special Grain.
But I have a 190 stamped Orlik Supreme Straight Grain with a moulded stem. I got it from America. Maybe they did not want to pay the price.
I also have an 192 extra large apple stamped
Orlik Export Special with a moulded stem. The only one I have seen of that grade.

Reactions: BROBS

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@jensen im scratching my head with the hallmarked pipe I just posted pics of. I would put up pictures of the nomenclature however it is so worn I can only just make sense of bits of it at certain angles of light.

There does appear to be a few small pits - not sure if this is age/wear related or were originally filled. I cannot yet determine any model number or series letter. I was assuming it was a corona.

The RH side of shanks clearly says MADE IN ENGLAND.

What’s puzzling me, is that I feel I can almost make out “CAPTAIN BLACK” on the LH side of shank.

I know CB pipes were a lower end range produced by Orlik, but if this is in fact a CB, why would anyone bother with a hallmarked band?

Also no marks on stem. Obviously could be a replacement stem, unless hallmarked pipes were not marked with usual brass stem logo.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Ahi, I have here an old Captain Black stamped
CB & London Made. It has a tiny gold (colored) band with LO in a circle and 3 hallmarks.
Years ago a man told me that his first good pipe was a CB. He got it just before the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.