PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I just purchased a handful of tins from Cup O Joes, 3 GH&Co Ennerdale and 3 GH&Co Rum Flake. As I was dating/pricing them before filing away I thought “boy, I guess I should check the seal just in case. I swear these tins smell like something other than metal and cardboard”. I’m glad I did! One of the Rum Flake tins was wide open, I barely touched the lid and it came right off. I don’t know how long it’s been open, but the tobacco isn’t what I’d call moist by any means. I’ve never bought Rum Flake before, hopefully it hasn’t suffered too badly.
I don’t know if this problem occurred at the source, or at Cup O Joes, and I’m not here to speculate. But for the love of fine tobacco, put in your due diligence and check your tins when they arrive. I plan to try said Rum Flake tonight and see if there’s still good flavor there.

Reactions: jbn951

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I bought some GH tins from the same drop at Cup o Joes, so thanks for the head's up! If they are loose I'm sure it isn't anything Cup O Joes did, every tin I've ever got from them has been sealed, and I can't imagine they handle them too roughly.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I triple check my tins whenever I get an order via mail or at a B&M.
Per another thread, I do notice the whiff of VA or latakia (depending on which bin I open), so I can't imagine that they suddenly pop themselves open, right?
Now I'm wondering whether or not I need to start combing through my cellar....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my experience, drying within limits isn't that damaging to most tobacco. Obviously, if we are talking about reduced to powder, that tobacco is over. But I've discovered baggies and jars of tobacco that have gone extremely dry, and it smokes well and benefits from the aging too. I'm not cockeyed about this; I wouldn't make a habit or routine of it, but generally it's been true.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Yeah these definitely still resemble tobacco, so all good there. The flakes are still stuck together, they’re just not moist or sticky to the touch in the least. Not what I would’ve expected from a fresh tin, from what I’ve heard of GH&Co.
pianopuffer, perhaps it’s time to suss out the culprit and start smoking that tin before it wastes away.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I’ve had that with rum flake of all things too! Got them for smoking pipes (I think) a year ago, 3 tins total - 1 had popped. It must have happened in transit as the baccy was still moist enough to need dry time.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
To add a layer of security I run aluminum tape around the lid in all tins I buy in case the seal is lost. Never had a problem doing so.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just to follow up, I received all 10 of my various GH tins (5 different blends, including rum flake) from Cup o Joes today and all were sealed tightly, FWIW.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Good to hear others are receiving tins from the same batch that are sealed, hopefully mine is just an anomaly. And I never thought of aluminum tape, that’s a good idea! Might have to try that one.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Rectangular and square tins are the least secure way to store tobacco over the long haul, except for maybe baggies. They don't always hold a seal and are very slowly leaking from the moment they're "sealed". If you're planning to age for 10 or more years you're probably better off jarring immediately and letting the tobacco age in jars. Or you can seal the tins in Mylar for the long haul. These tins aren't intended for long term storage.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Thanks Sable. Guess I better start jarring up all my Capstan tins...
Do I need a vacuum sealer machine to use w/Mylar?

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
There's also rust that occurs in many of these moist blends if left in the tin for an extended period of time. If you want resale value, then keep and age in the tin. If you do not intend to resale and only keep for yourself, then appropriately sized canning jars are the way to go IMHO.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Can anyone confirm what the typical moisture content of Rum Flake is from a sealed tin? I just packed a bowl from that open tin with no drying time and it’s completely dry, verging on crispy. Normally after breaking up flake my fingers are sticky and stained, in this case I had a slick powdery residue from working the flake. I’m concerned that I’m not getting the full experience with this one. Seems it might’ve been open from day 1.
To be fair, per tin was only $8.70 so it’s not like I’m out a whole lot. But with the limited availability, my 3 tins might be all I have for quite some time. ‘Twould be a shame for an entire one to be severely compromised.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
After smoking half a bowl, I’m extremely disappointed with this particular 50g batch of Rum Flake. There’s a vague whisper of cooking spice/holiday spice that reminds me of Orlik DSK. I love that blend, and I’m assuming that’s what this flake is supposed to taste like. But 95% of the flavor is simply a strong, ashy tobacco taste. Reminds me quite a lot of when I used to smoke American Spirits and you’d get that lingering aftertaste. I’m hoping this is simply a function of the tobacco being as dry as the Gobi Desert. Maybe the other 2 tins will hit the mark.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I never thought of aluminum tape, that’s a good idea! Might have to try that one.]
Just be sure to get a thick one as 3M (about 0.03 mil) as some are very thin and it is difficult to take them out as they break apart.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I just did a quick "tin-ventory" (haha) and realized that I need to spend a few hundred dollars to mylar up all my tins and bulks!
I'd love to hear from the codgers on this one, or the folks who aren't as fearsome about their cellars.

Do you guys just accept that you'll lose a few tins to seals breaking along the way? Or do you only smoke OTC blends so in other words, who the hell cares?
Just trying to get a sense of how the other side thinks of all this before I go and spend decent money on bags and all the time to seal them up...

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I agree with sablebrush52. I jar up anything I get that is not in the round pull tab pop top tins (C&D style). The square and round shoe polish looking tins have been iffy in my experience. Better safe than sorry!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd love to hear from the codgers on this one, or the folks who aren't as fearsome about their cellars.

Do you guys just accept that you'll lose a few tins to seals breaking along the way?
Yes, I pretty much follow this line of thought.
Or do you only smoke OTC blends so in other words, who the hell cares?
Just trying to get a sense of how the other side thinks of all this before I go and spend decent money on bags and all the time to seal them up...
Few OTCs here, and a fair amount of bulk, some of which is stored in double or triple wrapped thick bags. This stuff will be smoked within the year, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.