PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I recently smoked some Cornell and Diehl Oak Alley in my newest pipe, an estate Stanwell, and really enjoyed it. But when I tried it in a different pipe, the taste was notably different. After again smoking Oak Alley in the Stanwell I'm fairly certain I've got a haunted pipe, as a distinct flavor that reminds me of sweet red bean paste is present only in this pipe. Lakeland, perhaps?

But here's the thing: I don't think I'm gonna worry about cleaning it out. My plan is to simply enjoy it as it fades away over the course of several more smokes since I really don't mind the flavor

Anyone else actually enjoy ghosted pipes?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I recently smoked some Cornell and Diehl Oak Alley in my newest pipe, an estate Stanwell, and really enjoyed it. But when I tried it in a different pipe, the taste was notably different. After again smoking Oak Alley in the Stanwell I'm fairly certain I've got a haunted pipe, as a distinct flavor that reminds me of sweet red bean paste is present only in this pipe. Lakeland, perhaps?

But here's the thing: I don't think I'm gonna worry about cleaning it out. My plan is to simply enjoy it as it fades away over the course of several more smokes since I really don't mind the flavor

Only if it's a ghost I put there. Not particularly in an estate pipe from an unknown blend!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I like a light bit of ghosting.

Reactions: rushx9

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I have some pipes that I only smoke Rattray's VaBurPer's in or stuff like Scottish Cake. So they have that sweet, woodsy character that tends to be the case in Gowrie, Hal, Clunee. I had some Rimboche AP, a Vaper, and the woodsyness reared its head, and absolutely took the VaPer to another level. Also my oldest cob, a Missouri pride that's about 13 years old, is fairly strongly ghosted with 1Q and various Vanilla cavendish tobaccos when I was a newbie. I honestly don't mind, it shows up once in a while and also I feel makes the smoke more interesting. Friendly ghosts certainly exist, unless... they make my tobacco taste like dryer sheets or Dove handsoap, in which case I remind myself that we stray further and further from God's light with each application of floral essences to high quality tobacco. In my opinion...

Reactions: macaroon

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I seem to spend a lot of time with ghosts and by and large, they don't bother me very much. I don't really dedicate pipes and as such, will grab whatever pipe strikes my fancy and the same goes for the tobacco. There is often a lingering ghost from whatever I smoked previously but it is not unpleasant and can make the bowl a little more interesting. As others have said, if you have a ghost, the best way to exorcise it is to just keep on smoking. It will eventually fade away and never be seen again.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I bought a pipe online from a fellow who thought he'd only smoked straight Virginia in it but wasn't absolutely sure. It wasn't a real expensive pipe and he had acquired many pipes over the years. When I first smoked it there was that distinct soapy Lakeland taste. The seller offered to take it back, but it was a good deal so I kept the pipe. It's reserved for Lakeland blends now. It's a fine smoking pipe.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Also my oldest cob, a Missouri pride that's about 13 years old, is fairly strongly ghosted with 1Q and various Vanilla cavendish tobaccos when I was a newbie.

It's pretty neat that you still have this and smoke it from time to time. My starter cobs all wound up in lakes, or under the seats in my car with gum and hair stuck to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.