PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I was reading about neat finds at second hand stores in another thread and thought that I would share my latest find. While walking from my favorite (and only real) tobacconist in my small city, I wandered into the used bookstore that I sometimes frequent and lucked onto Alfred Dunhill's book, "The Gentle Art of Smoking" for $10. The book itself is in pristine shape but unfortunately without dust cover, if it actually came with one originally. I am a chapter or so into it, just his description of the early history of tobacco consumption so far and because of my love of things historical and pipe related, am finding it very interesting. Fascinating might be a stretch, but its very cool nonetheless. It seems just the ticket for a relaxing afternoon of smoking and reading. Has anyone else read this book?

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
That was a good buy. It goes for much more on amazon. I have been reading a lot this year. I think this is all of them: PIPESMOKING BY R. C. Hacker, Newcombe's IN SEARCH OF PIPE DREAMS, AND PIPES & TOBACCO by C. Ehwa, Jr.
I found the "The Gentle Art of Smoking" at an estate sale. I have read so much about pipes and tobacco that I can not identify why I like reading the A. Dunhill book. It is all good background. I did skip the part about snuff and cigars. Oh, yes it does come with a dust cover.
:puffpipe:

phoenix

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
I've got a copy of it as well. With dustcover. Excellent read. There could have been actual pictures instead of illustrations.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think Dunhill's books should be part of every pipe smoker's library. But I also have to say that I think he was a very dry writer. IMO, you read his books for information and a historical perspective, not because they're actually enjoyable! By contrast, I much prefer the humor and personality that you'll find in books by Carl Weber and Rick Hacker.
I'll never forget how I laughed aloud when I read this in a list of pipe-filling Dos and Don'ts in Carl Weber's The Pleasures of Pipe Smoking: "DON'T imitate those dunderheads who fill a pipe by plunging it into a jar or pouch and ramming it full with a forefinger."
I mean, honestly: How likely are you to encounter the word dunderheads in any book? Thanks for that, Carl.
Bob

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I hate dust covers, I take them off and store them away (I don't throw them away in fear I may need it for something). But I really want to read this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.