PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
1981 I was stationed in Idaho at Mountain Home AFB. There were a few people in my shop that smoked pipes. Bought a cheap Grabow and some kinda Cavendish tobacco at the Base Exchange. Never did get the hang of it really... I PCS’ed to RAF Lakenheath UK in 1982, and probably tossed the pipe. I the UK there was a guy who smoked cigars, so on occasion I would have a cigar.

The cigar boom of the late 80’s, early 90’s is where it started in earnest. I was working for a company that sold factory automation products. One of the vendors had a yearly sales meeting and dinner. Free top shelf booze and boxes of quality cigars. Local restaurants and bar began doing cigar nights, so I went to those. Back then there were actually some decent pipe and cigar stores around. After a few years of smoking cigars, I was at a shop and wandered over to the pipe display cabinets. Ended up buying a cheap Italian basket pipe, and a Cavendish blend. Cigar Aficionado Magazine Had just come out a year or two before, and there was an article on pipe smoking that explained the basics. A few more basket pipes, and then I figured I out to get serious and buy a real pipe... So I got a couple Peterson’s, a 69 and an 01s Limerick.

Up until several years ago, I would probably smoke a pipe anywhere from 3-5 times a week, cigars about the same. It was always something that I would enjoy after work and whatever other responsibilities I had.

When most of the local shops went away, I started checking out internet vendors. I had always avoided mail order and internet because I figured the stuff would get dried out or probably be some inferior quality stuff.

I placed orders for all kinds of stuff once I started buying on the interwebs.

I rarely buy much of anything nowadays... no need to. But there’s always an occasional pipe that catches my eye. I try to discipline myself. Sometimes it works, sometimes- eh.

Lately I’ve been smoking around 3 bowls per day, usually in the same pipe. Occasionally I’ll smoke several different pipes on same day, and possibly up to 7 bowls in a day.

Reactions: hauntedmyst