A Christmas Story/Secret Santa Thank You!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have never been a huge Christmas fan. Throughout the years there have been so many bad memories. Nothing like the little brat that didn't get what he wanted for Christmas memories. But more of the deep seeded emotional kind that last a lifetime. I was the scrooge that could have never looked at Christmas again. So what do I do? Marry Miss Christmas herself! My wife lives for it, and over the past 17 years we have three great sons that follow in their Moms footsteps. Never knowing that deep down Dad cringes every time I hear a Christmas song. I always put on a happy face for them, my problems are not theirs. 2016 has been the year that broke the last little thread of Christmas cheer that was left in me. Mother passing away, whole family being torn apart by Father going crazy and giving away his life savings to an ex wife of 40+ years ago, on and on! Even the the birth of my fourth son (and new favorite) has been foreshadowed by the madness.

Jump ahead to now! Even though I wasn't in the mood, I wanted to participate in this years Secret Santa, as I have done before. One day I get a small package in the mail addressed to me with a return address of Secret Santa. I do usually wait till Christmas to open, but decided to go early this year. On opening I noticed a small pipe box and thought to myself, WOW! How did 2 tins get shoved in that? I opened the box and seen my favorite shape from my favorite maker, in a top line model. I have tried to be generous with my SS, but this was beyond generous. It was as if Santa himself had decided to send this. I know that all and all it is just a piece of wood and lucite, but this was more! This was a slap to the soul telling me there is still stuff to be grateful for, and humanity is still alive and well. To my Secret Santa, you have lifted my spirit and started a renewal of faith. All with a piece of briar. Thank You! This Grinch's heart grew two sizes this year. Merry Christmas to all.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Lovely story, drwatson, thank you for sharing it and thank you to your Secret Santa for knocking you for a six. Well done, lads.
Happy Christmas!
-- Pat

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Again, a plus one for the graciousness of the members of the members of this forum who are tied together by not much more than a general interest in a similar hobby. Secret Santas you have comported yourselves quite admirably.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Drwatson, your story is what Christmas is all about and it warms my heart, Merry Christmas.

Pat, your efforts are rewarded. A special Merry Christmas to you.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Drwatson:
How can you post a heartwarming story like that without a picture?
Pony up, Doc, and a blessed holiday to you and yours.
Fnord

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm glad I read your post drwatson.

I can relate to the burdensome emotional toll of the season, associating it with a loss that was shocking and personal.

It's a time of giving and sharing and celebrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.