PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

njrox91

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
So I bought a 9mm German pipe. found some meerschaum 9mm filters at my local smoke shop, and when I went to use one, it was shorter than the filter chamber is in my pipe.

Looking around more online, all filters I can find are the same length, so I have to use the pipe with a rattling filter falling up and down? Is there any bootlegged ways to convert my pipe to a 6mm filter? Should I forget the filter all together? I read online that you can smoke bent filtered pipes without one, but mine is a straight pipe. Help? Any suggestions?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I've seen this before with the 9mm. Try going to a hobby store and getting balsa wood, you can fashion your own filters for very small $$$..Like saint peter said cup o joes has some 9mm adapters. also if you are handy you may be able to trim the tenon down alittle.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The Vauen Filters are a smidgen larger than the Big Ben 9mm filters. They still fit a little loose in my 9mm Peterson, but the Big Ben filters were even worse.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I purchased a 9mm filter bypass/adapter from Cup O Joes for my Vauen and never looked back.
I can't draw through the 9mm, feel like I'm trying to suck up a really thick milk shake.
Cup O Joes ships really fast and for two 9mm filter adapters they only charged me $5 shipping NY to OR.
~Zeke

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
9mm filters ARE shorter than the filter chamber, some shorter than others. They're supposed to go "ka-thump" when drawing on a dry filter. Even the adapter to 3mm ( standard draft hole size ) http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=114618 does that when it's dry, although it might be a good indication one is drawing too hard.

I haven't tried the Savinelli balsa 9mm filters in my Savinelli 9mm pipe, but either the 9mm to 3mm adapter, or the 6mm to 3mm adapter ( the ones that come in the bag with the Savinelli 6mm filters ), or even the balsa 6mm filters will fit mine. YMMV

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
"I'd make sure you're getting the genuine Vauen adapter and filters is my advice from Cup O' Joe's -- the ones Pete linked are a Chinese generic."
The one from Cup O Joes is a piece of metal. Its not high tech, and need not "match" the intended pipe.
The Chinese make good stuff, really good stuff.

njrox91

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
My pipe is t even a vaun tho, it's a cheap 20$ no name. My local pipe shop convinced me to just smoke it without a filter. Compared it to drinking o'douls! Haha thanks everyone for your input though

Status
Not open for further replies.