Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2010
Anyone know of a good 9mm filter adapter. I just got a new pipe that uses a 9mm but it did not come with an adapter like I had hoped. the company does make an adapter but I cant find anyone that carries it and is willing to ship to the states. Here is the address of the company's adapter http://www.vauen.de/photo/detail/en/Adapter_509/98.810.4.13.html
I did find a 9mm adapter on cupojoes but it looks very different from the Vauen adapter.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have little or no experience with filters other than 6mm (Medico) and Brigham rock maple tubes, so excuse me if I've missed your point.
If you can find someone with a lathe and 6mm drills, he could drill out the centers of some dowel stock, and sand down the exterior to 9mm. If Dunhill can use metal tubes in their pipes, perhaps you can even do something similar with stainless or aluminum ...or plastic, antler, bone...

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
You might find this thread interesting...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-filters

May 19, 2010
I have done a bit of looking about on the net and only found 1 place that carries the Vauen adapter and does not charge $30 to $60 for international shipping.

http://www.e-kedico.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1056485121 which has a $12 minimum purchase.
In my searches I found that it can be rather difficult to find an adapter that fits properly as every company makes the chamber different to work best with their filters and adapters. I am planning to buy the adapter and a large box of the Dr.Pearl Filters from e-kedico. If that fails I shall be visiting the machine shops at the local community college to see what I can have made from wood or acrylic.

May 19, 2010
Thanks searock, that thread and a few others came to the same conclusion. Most pipes, especially those of the bent variety, smoke just fine if not better without their filters. However one of the recurring problems I have found is that the chamber the filter usually occupies tends to act like the moisture trap on a Peterson's system pipe. and can become a real bother to clean. It is more of a problem with the 9mm filter pipes then the 6mm pipes as the chamber is larger.
I do really like your idea of using balsa rods to make your own filters/moisture absorbers. I have several Savinelli pipes and this sounds like a fun idea. Several of my Savinelli pipes have very long shanks that tends to EAT the filter if I have to use a pipe filter for any reason. Making my own filters that are a bit longer may be a perfect solution for this problem.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Sounds like you have it figured. If you try making your own balsa filters be sure to let us know how it works out. Best of luck to you.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Is there a way to clean the balsa filters? Like putting them in a glass of alcohol overnight and then let them dry? Anyone tried this?

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Now now, that would turn them into ashes! Suppose you have a very tonguebitey blend, using a filter will take the edge of the biteyness and make the blend more enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.