PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

khiddy

Might Stick Around
Have you tried the White Elephant "SuperMix" filters? They are a blend of meerschaum chips and activated charcoal, supposedly providing the benefits of both. I bought a box but haven't yet tried them myself, as the only 9mm filter pipe I have is not in my regular rotation. Perhaps I'll load a bowl this weekend and fire up a test with two bowls of the same blend, Supermix filtered and regular AC filtered.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Honestly I didnt note that meer had any advantages so I have not tried the mixed filters. Im pretty happy with the performance of AC filters and Im sticking with vauen since for most my pipes they fit and have a more open draw. Im looking forward to the results of your experiment.

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
Thank you for posting this observation. I haven’t tried them and never felt like I need to after using the activated charcoal filters. I imagine the meerschaum 9mm filters give off a taste similar to smoking a brand new meerschaum pipe before the bowl turns black. It’s not a flavour I found off putting but I always looked forward to the bowl turning black and whatever chalky kind of taste that was going away.
Do you switch your charcoal filter after each smoke? Or do you use the same one a few times with different blends ?

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Do you switch your charcoal filter after each smoke? Or do you use the same one a few times with different blends ?
I use a new one every time. The Bremen Pipe Smoker on YouTube is a German and he also only uses the filters once. I imagine that they were designed as a single use item. Vauen is the filter I use so maybe will email their company to ask if this is true. It is the company that invented the activated charcoal filter.

Update: I did email Vauen and I’ll let you know what they say.

Last edited:

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I use a new one every time. The Bremen Pipe Smoker on YouTube is a German and he also only uses the filters once. I imagine that they were designed as a single use item. Vauen is the filter I use so maybe will email their company to ask if this is true. It is the company that invented the activated charcoal filter.

Update: I did email Vauen and I’ll let you know what they say.
As we discussed earlier in the thread, it's quite easy to get 2-3 smokes out of each filter, esp if you smoke lighter blends.

• Love
Reactions: Sigmund

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
@Doctor Chopper The only flavor a filter removes is from the tars. A vaper still tastes like a vaper but its cleaner tasting. I liike them but I really like them with a filter. For me it enhances the experience.

Tars are bitter. Im not saying the tobacco is bitter but when you decrease the tars in some blends the natural sweetness and other flavors from the virginias and perique really push forward. In comparison, to me, those blends with no filter taste a little muddy.
Mark tape here. This is why I like AC filters über alles!

• Love
Reactions: Sigmund

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I get at least two 50 minute smokes from them. They must dry completely before reuse. Otherwise its pretty nasty using a cold wet filter.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Vauen's website suggests every use for "Maximum enjoyment". Of course they are selling them. Most online pipe shops suggest a maximum of two to three uses. Most the time they are clogged after 2. Vauen pipes are also designed to minimize flow around the filter. A lot of other pipes allow this. I prefer a little flow around for a free draw.

Reactions: OverMountain

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
Vauen's website suggests every use for "Maximum enjoyment". Of course they are selling them. Most online pipe shops suggest a maximum of two to three uses. Most the time they are clogged after 2. Vauen pipes are also designed to minimize flow around the filter. A lot of other pipes allow this. I prefer a little flow around for a free draw.
Will vauen fit a savinelli , they seem to be much cheaper

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@b1gb2olo do you have any sav filters to measure? Preferably with a caliper. I can measure mine and let you know. Im guessing they fit.

Specs online say they are the same.
Savinelli like to charge a premium on accessories. Theirs look a lot like white elephant which are made by kopp.

Also 9mm filters are not 9mm. The tenon interior on the pipe is 8.8mm. The filter smaller. I guess 9mm sounds better.

It’s hard to beat vauen. They made the 9mm market and have to get it right.

Last edited:

b1gb2olo

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Pittsburgh
@b1gb2olo do you have any sav filters to measure? Preferably with a caliper. I can measure mine and let you know. Im guessing they fit.

Specs online say they are the same.
Savinelli like to charge a premium on accessories. Theirs look a lot like white elephant which are made by kopp.

Also 9mm filters are not 9mm. The tenon interior on the pipe is 8.8mm. The filter smaller. I guess 9mm sounds better.

It’s hard to beat vauen. They made the 9mm market and have to get it right.
I do not have a caliper to measure, my pipe is 6 mm. The savinellis just seems so expensive.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Vauen makes 6mm filters also. Search online to compare sizes. Some sites list specs. Id bet money vauen fit also. Heck. Its worth 4 bucks for a box of 40 to find out.