PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hard disagree on the Tobasco my friend. While a decent sauce, it gets its heat more from the vinegar than the peppers. I’ll enjoy it at a greasy spoon but there’s literally thousands of sauces that are better, dozens that are readily available at your local grocery store.

And he’ll, I’ve even made more flavorful hot sauces!

But, BUT, if Tobasco is your jam it isn’t a bad jam to have if you’re in a jam :)

All the Tabasco is made in one factory on Avery Island Louisiana, from locally grown red peppers and vinegar and aged in oak barrels like bourbon.

You may not like it, but odds are you have a bottle in your fridge, to make Cajun dishes.

And the only reason you’d buy another brand is it’s a larger bottle for the same price.

Tabasco has an effective monopoly on aged red pepper sauce.

And they are smart enough to only, make Tabasco sauce.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
All the Tabasco is made in one factory on Avery Island Louisiana, from locally grown red peppers and vinegar and aged in oak barrels like bourbon.

You may not like it, but odds are you have a bottle in your fridge, to make Cajun dishes.

And the only reason you’d buy another brand is it’s a larger bottle for the same price.

Tabasco has an effective monopoly on aged red pepper sauce.

And they are smart enough to only, make Tabasco sauce.
I haven’t been to the island but I’ve been to NOLA and visited their museum years ago. And if you were a betting man your odds failed you lol. I have several bottles of hot sauce in my kitchen, non of them Tabasco and I haven’t had Tabasco in my kitchen for over close to two decades :)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I haven’t been to the island but I’ve been to NOLA and visited their museum years ago. And if you were a betting man your odds failed you lol. I have several bottles of hot sauce in my kitchen, non of them Tabasco and I haven’t had Tabasco in my kitchen for over close to two decades :)

What I’ve always wondered is how anyone could get past the Tabasco sauce burn to taste any difference in aged pepper sauces.:)

My son sometimes buys the larger bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce.

My wife insists on real Tabasco.

Reactions: HeavyLeadBelly

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
What I’ve always wondered is how anyone could get past the Tabasco sauce burn to taste any difference in aged pepper sauces.:)

My son sometimes buys the larger bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce.

My wife insists on real Tabasco.
Well that’s the vinegar creating the heat. Once you start trying hot sauces where pepper is listed as the first ingredient, like Huy Fong Sriracha, that’s when you start picking up a lot mor flavor along with the heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Egg Shen

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Well that’s the vinegar creating the heat. Once you start trying hot sauces where pepper is listed as the first ingredient, like Huy Fong Sriracha, that’s when you start picking up a lot mor flavor along with the heat.
Agree. The vinegar component in Tabasco is way more in the forefront compared to virtually any other sauce. I know it is not the best, but I do like it and it has its niches. As do all my hot sauces. Aside from regular I like the chipotle, habanero, and the green one. The green one (forget the pepper type but it’s super-mild) is good to add to homemade Italian dressing, just a few dashes for a boost, but indiscernible that a hot sauce has been added.

Reactions: HeavyLeadBelly

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Speaking of brand names, the name can be too powerful and the courts rule the product is generic.

Ivory soap won’t have that problem as long as there is Dove, Safeguard and Lifebouy.

Tabasco won’t so long as there’s Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Victorola, Wurlitzer, Frigidaire, Frisbee, and Xerox, barely avoided being generic. And while Weed Eater is still a trade name the rotary line trimmer patent was invalidated, as too obvious.

Bayer Aspirin is the original. Aspirin was a trade name.

Heroin was a registered trade name of Parke Davis for synthetic opium.

Escalator was a trade name of Otis Elevator

Zipper was trademarked by B F Goodrich for rubber boots

Linoleum was a trade name for floor covering. It was the first trade name to become generic.

Cellophane was a trade name of Du Pont

A Dumpster was patented in 1937 and was a trade name of Demster Brothers who first made dumpsters.

You want a practical monopoly in the trade, not a total monopoly.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Someone needs his mouth washed out with soap.
View attachment 278810
I remember getting my mouth CAKED with Ivory soap.......... I was probably 5-6 years old.
My Dad was a rough guy, but I cussed in front of him and he put that old bar of Ivory in my mouth and it was caked on the inside of my teeth. Nastiest taste I'd ever experienced.
To this day I don't EVER use Ivory soap....... but I do swear a bit!

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Agree. The vinegar component in Tabasco is way more in the forefront compared to virtually any other sauce. I know it is not the best, but I do like it and it has its niches. As do all my hot sauces. Aside from regular I like the chipotle, habanero, and the green one. The green one (forget the pepper type but it’s super-mild) is good to add to homemade Italian dressing, just a few dashes for a boost, but indiscernible that a hot sauce has been added.
The green Tobasco is pretty good! And for my criticisms of Tobasco, I’m not saying it’s awful by any means. I love craft beer but I’d be lying if I said you’d never catch me drinking a Pabst :).

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yeah, that stuff works. Also there was a powder whose name I can't recall that worked great on grease and dirty oil
When I was in high school (mid 70's) I worked for a company that manufactured small electric motors for vending machines. In the men's room there was a dispenser of powdered (yellowish/tan) hand cleaner. It was very gritty and it worked well.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I remember getting my mouth CAKED with Ivory soap.......... I was probably 5-6 years old.
My Dad was a rough guy, but I cussed in front of him and he put that old bar of Ivory in my mouth and it was caked on the inside of my teeth. Nastiest taste I'd ever experienced.
To this day I don't EVER use Ivory soap....... but I do swear a bit!
You’ll put your eye out!

Reactions: Briar Lee

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
When I was in high school (mid 70's) I worked for a company that manufactured small electric motors for vending machines. In the men's room there was a dispenser of powdered (yellowish/tan) hand cleaner. It was very gritty and it worked well.
In a pinch it’d make a tasty beverage, too.

Reactions: Briar Lee