PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
My wife was doing the laundry today and I decided to go out to Loews for a few new clamps, and I decided I would try and build myself a rack. Now, I would like to tell everyone here, that I am by no means a woodworker, but I am handy, so I thought this was an interesting project. Two hours later and for UNDER $10.00, I thought it came out pretty good for something on a whim...and my first attempt at a true woodworking project.

The parts? 1 cedar plank cut in quarters (4 2' pieces)(I only used 2 pieces)
1 5/4"X6"X8' Cedar Decking Plank for $10.36= $5.18/rack

1 1"X36" Oak Dowel for $4.48
I cut the plank into 4 pieces, cut the dowel, drilled the holes, used a Forstner bit for the bottom plank, and bingo, a 9 pipe rack for $9.59!!!!

I had a few pieces of felt lying around, so I glue gunned that, and sanded it down. Pretty good for under 10 bucks!

Pics Below:

photo-4-600x450.jpg

photo-32-600x450.jpg

photo-22-600x450.jpg

photo-12-600x450.jpg

Shutterbug

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice work! Thanks for posting the pix! :clap:
It was quite some time ago that I was on the verge of doing something like that.

Then, as I reached Preferred Member status, Kevin sent me The Official PipesMagazine.com Pipe Rack. So now I'm set.

DSCN0563.jpg

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Very nice. I'm no handyman but it makes me want to try and build one

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Well done!
I applaud you, and love the simplicity of forgoing the urge for turned legs and overly routed edges.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Thank you all...and yes, I think I might stain it. I have two more boards and might do a different top shelf design for the next rack. We'll see how that goes, but for now, I am happy spending the 10 bucks rather than 75 for something from the professionals...
Shutterbug

Status
Not open for further replies.