PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
I am amazed
An estate pipe. A new one US retail is $450. Yes, it has great grain, but if you are patient one to match can be found. From the bid history, it looks like two bidders beat each other up unmercifully, not a case of two snipe programs flipping in nuke bids at the last second.
And Georged thanks Chance needs help with his photography skills. LOL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From the seller's point of view, that is the essence of an auction. People get lost in the contest and lose sight of the product and its price. This buyer could have gotten two or three similarly "beautiful" Castellos for the money. I doubt he (or she) will learn a thing.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I wanted that pipe badly, but I could tell when it was $235.00 with a day to go that it would likely go for more than it's worth....to me!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The pattern of bids is way too similar to not be something crap going on.
Why/how do bids by one bidder follow his own, sometimes 4-5 in a row. What triggers that? (eBay novice here, if not apparent.)

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The pattern of bids is way too similar to not be something crap going on.
Why/how do bids by one bidder follow his own, sometimes 4-5 in a row. What triggers that? (eBay novice here, if not apparent.)

A shill wouldn't be so eager. They would never nibble but hit hard once in awhile. I wouldn't be surprised to see these pipe relisted. Chance's pipes always look good, a little to good for my eye but I have bought a couple Castello's from him over the years and would do so again for the right pipe at the right price. 8O

Oct 7, 2016
Agreed that taking the 2 pipes together the bidding pattern looks really weird.
And Chance does have some really nice looking Castellos. I have bid on several, only won one, a very nice 16P Old Antiquari that, all things considered, went for about what it should have. A very nice addition, happy to own it.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Fools don't know how to bid an auction. An early bid is a bid against yourself.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Winning a bid is something very addictive like gambling so don't take the number so serious. I won't pay that money, but neither would I throw in a judgement.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
He has a huge number of people following his auctions. When he sold a couple of my pipes, he got twice as much as I was getting on my own auctions....

Status
Not open for further replies.