PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
One word makes the 80's worth while in music. One word that still to this day can bring chills down your spine.......

JOURNEY!!!

Echo and the Bunnymen, The Clash, XTC, Talking Heads, The Cure, The Jam, The Smiths, Joy Division, I could go on all night. What's not to like? There were some GREAT bands in the '80s

Great bands, the eighties where IMO the high of the punk/alternative age. Bands like the Cure, SNFU, Stiff Little Fingers, the Pogues would go on to forever change the shape of music.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
phil67 +1 and then some.
I grew up listening to the Doors, Crosby Stills & Nash, Neil Diamond, Marvin Gaye, Little Anthony, Dianna Ross, Dionne Warwick singing Burt Bacharach hits, The Temptations, BJ Thomas, The Righteous Brothers, The Four Seasons, The Beach Boys,etc.
You could actually dance to those tunes, especially slow dance. You knew the words to and could sing along cause you could understand what the singers were saying.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Rush put out some great albums in the 1980's.

ZZ Top really hit their stride in sales, but I prefer their older work.

Guns & Roses blew up the late 80's with Appetite

Dire Straits had three good albums.

The Pretenders had a couple

All of The Cars 80's releases were excellent

My top artist in the 80's was Stevie Ray Vaughn who redefined the blues.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One of the better of the '80s bands, with the '80s sound, that I don't think has been mentioned yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIe-Cj071l0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy3sxbKqloI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ti8dd24MVg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Huey Lewis And The News. That's one of the few 80's bands I still listen to.
You are redeemed. Nice choice as HLN are one of my favs from the 80's, I have all their music.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Missing from all the above are Tom Petty, and Fleetwood Mac. Man I will always remember blasting down the road with the top down listening at full volume to Stevie Nicks sing, "Gypsy"!

Then for some it was doom! The 80's was when Steve Miller thought it would be ok to sing, "Abra-abra-cadabre, I'm gonna reach out a grab ya." Ha ha!!
But, we were blinded by SCIENCE!! So, all is forgiven. I still have no idea what it means to rock a casbah, and I'm darned sure glad that some of those guys really like their house, in the middle of the street. But, it was a time for putting on the ritz while video killed the radio stars. ]
It was also an age of Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams, while we waited to hear who killed JR.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
me too av8scuba...miss those days.
Metallica's Master of Puppets/Justice for All , Guns and Roses' Appetite for Destruction, Van Halen/Hagar 1984/5150, Aerosmith's comback with Permanent Vacation, hell even George Michael's Faith was a solid album.

Not to mention Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Beastie Boys.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity album came out when I was a freshman in High school. It was the first album I ever bought with my own money and it was well worth it..............I must have played that album a thousand times! LOL!

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Also a bit surpised these guys haven't been mentioned.
The Police - Roxanne
[+] Embed the video | Video Download Get the Video Player
lordofthepiperings, that song was released in 78, but they did put out lots of good stuff in the 80s too.

Status
Not open for further replies.