PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
This was purchased by the seller's wife in '71 (on 5th Ave for $65) but is it next year's model?
"Dunhill Shell; 56 F/T; MADE IN ENGLAND; 12; 4 [circled]; S" - more photos HERE.
1960 ± 12 = 1972?
Jn1jowg.jpg

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks George. I guess the hunt for an actual birthyear continues. This was listed as a '71...

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I was born in 72! Just saying, if you feel guilty smoking it, or too old to enjoy it properly you could always sell it to a young whipper-snapper like myself.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I'll definitely keep that in mind and only charge you %10 over cost... like a true friend. :nana:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Damned decent of you old boy!

Thanking you in advance of our transaction. Regards Simon.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I'll admit at first I was a bit disappointed that what was advertised as a 71 turned out to be a 72, but if I believe the seller when he said his wife bought it for him in 71, which I do, then despite it being marked 72 - it was actually made it 71 as 72 hadn't actually happened yet. So, I'll consider it a birth year pipe no matter what it's marked.

Sorry Simon - I'm keepin it!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
No need to apologize old boy! Although I do believe your too trusting in taking the memory of a dear old lady as gospel. As the old saying goes, 'what can't speak can't lie'. That stamp is from 1972 which is MY birth year & not yours! May I suggest you take away your daughters cob & give her an upgrade by donating your dunhill to her. I'm sure she'd appreciate it & like me she is younger than you. No offence.

BTW my own daughter was very similar looking at that age (she's 15 now). I only wish I'd had the brains to get her to smoke a pipe from an early age, I'm sure she'd have turned out more placid & less vocal with the abuse & attitude I seem to get on a daily basis. Well done sir!

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Bah... she's just lucky she gets to dip into my stash free of charge.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Aren't there Dunhills out there with two date codes, one denoting the year made and one denoting the year sold or something like that?

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
From user 'john218' 3 years ago :
"I have a Dunhill that has two date codes, indicating it was made in 1957 and shipped by Dunhill 6 years later in 1963, the year I bought it. So I'm not that surprised your pipe went unsold for 13 years. My understanding is that the British prefer the group 2 and 3 size pipes, so I don't think that's the reason it went unsold."
Interesting...

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Just chatting with a fellow on eBay who advertises a pipe as being cut in 71, shipped in 72 coincedentally.

I asked how he knew this and he explained he was going by the 11/2 stamp. Didn't know they had such a stamping... anyone have any other examples of this style, or is he misinterpreting the nomenclature?

Status
Not open for further replies.