PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1644096907459.png

Okay, this one's a strange one. I think it's a Cavendish Virginia Burley. This is unusual that you would not normally create a Cavendish with this tobacco type.

Like all Cavendish it's vanilla up-front, but again, like all Mac Baren 7 Seas, not offensively so. It's a subtle vanilla, and then... ?

I was a little disappointed initially. What is this? I taste the Virginia Burley up front, plainly. Is this an aromatic? I sit with it for a while, searching for depth. There is little depth but subtle complexity as you smoke down.. here goes..

So, after Virginia Burley, you get vanilla for sure, then a bit of honey like the candy , Bit O' Honey:

1644097125286.png

after that, there are sub-notes of golden hay, un-stained Pier 1 Imports wicker furniture out in the sun, and smell of "long-haired blonde-girl-with-freckles in your car after the beach afternoon wearing sweet, cloying tanning oil "... if that makes sense.

Also..

Wonder Bread toast with a tiny bit of butter, except the knife had some marmalade on it from the previous user who tried to wipe most of it off but a vague smear got onto the butter you spread onto your own toast in an unexpected way.

To compensate for that, you drizzle orange-blossom honey (a few drops) to compensate for the orange-ish taste.

That doesn't work to hide the marmalade enough so you're stuck with buttered honey-toast that has a hint of distant marmalade after-taste.

Room note is very good though, and it smokes lightly. Probably best for a summer smoke, and sweet is throughout and a sugary finish that lingers for a long time.

Is it any good? Sure. I am not a super-fan of this, probably because it's winter and I usually go to chocolates and heavier smokes, but it's a nice counter-balance from other things out there. Reminds me a bit of Sutliff's Special Reserve Pana Cotta or Molto Dulce but added citrus and haystack smell.

At first I wouldn't recommend this, but as I think about it, it's actually decent, especially for a 7 Seas completionist, and something completely different and interesting. Recommended when you want a change and something light.

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Much appreciated going through the line of 7 seas. Sounds like this is middle of the pack for you. Safe to say your preference is reg>royal>black = gold = red?

Reactions: anotherbob

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
I've found the other 2 in Spain, Bright and Blue.. but getting those...
I talked to Mac Baren company and they admit they're only in pouches ...

Reactions: Bacco and Bacon

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
I agree. The Virginia put into a Cavendish style vanilla is strange to me. I think it's intriguing though, and a bold experiment here. I've never heard of this process done to a Virginia before otherwise. Impressive and brave. I will let it cellar and re-approach later.

Feb 10, 2022
I've found the other 2 in Spain, Bright and Blue.. but getting those...
I talked to Mac Baren company and they admit they're only in pouches ...
I have also found a 7 Seas “Original” here in Spain in a red pouch. I wasn’t impressed. It appears to be a Virginia Burley blend that is not an aromatic. My local tobacconist has the Bright but I haven’t tried it.