PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The draft hole could have become restricted by tar and nicotine build up causing a tighter airflow when drawing that is heating up the tobacco faster.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I missed a turn. How is air getting in between the stem and the bowl? You mean the shank, the slender briar that comes off the bowl to meet the stem? Any break in the airway will cause a bad draw and maybe overheating. Medico did make many Brylon pipes, a synthetic (wood composite?) that famously burns hot anyway, even without the crack or hole in the airway. I think it's time for a new pipe. If you're on a budget, I highly recommend MM cobs, about $5 to $15, or if you can pay a little more, one of the MM cob special series with an acrylic stem that lasts a lot longer, at about $24.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I asked about the material because brylon is much less forgiving than briar, either if you're packing more tightly than before of if there's been a change in your cadence. Brylons can smoke hot, and require a light touch.
I made the mistake once packing a brylon Medico Lancer with well-dried Mac Baren Club Blend coins and took the bastard out for a hike on a windy day. That bowl was scorched to ash (not necessarily a fine white ash, either) in the neighborhood of twenty minutes. My tongue was pretty well scorched, as well. (I learned a few lessons with that one bowl, let me tell you ... )

Jul 3, 2015
Cabot Arkansas
Thanks guys for all your advice I'm taking a bit of all your advice and have re tightened the stem to the shank this is a great community of people and I consider all of you my friends PS I also ordered a new pipe it should be here Monday can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.