PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2015
Cabot Arkansas
First off I didn't know where to put this so if it's in the wrong spot I apologize second of all I have a disability and it's hard for me to type so I apologize for any Miss grammar or punctuation
I have a 6 year old pipe that has smoked great I haven't smoked in 2 years and now it seems to smoke really hot no matter what I do is there any advice out there

Jan 8, 2013
It could be the blends you're smoking in it now vs the blends you were smoking before. Maybe your cadence has changed since then. Try slowing down your puffs. Or perhaps you're packing too tight or too loose. It could be any number of things actually.

Jul 3, 2015
Cabot Arkansas
I'm smoking the same blend I used to smoke Mac Barron's Virginia number one it could be packing I use the three-step method could the age of the pipe be a factor since it is a manufactured pipe?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I don't think so. Usually pipes get better throughout the years, unless it is a really bad one. It's probably the packing or your cadence.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Ditto. Anthony covered the usual-suspects succinctly.
However, the "Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective" in me has been piqued; therefore, Rollinggentleman, the things I would wish to know are:
1) Is it the pipe itself which gets too hot, or is it the smoke itself which gets too hot, or both?
1) What is the blend you are smoking when the super-heating occurs?
2) What is the chamber size of the bowl? (If unknown, please tell us the make/model of the pipe)
3) How long - on average - does it take for you to clear a full bowl? (if unknown, please time/average your next 6 bowls).
4) How many multiple bowls in a row, if more than one, do you go through before your pipe gets too hot?
I would be most interested in investigating your dilemma - if you are willing to play-along with us.
So, if you want to dig into the specifics, just get back to us with the details above; and perhaps someone can offer you a "Seven Percent Solution", or determine the WHY behind: The Case of the Suddenly Too-Hot Pipe.
"The games afoot!" - Sherm Natman

Jul 3, 2015
Cabot Arkansas
Virginia number one is the tobacco used to take 30 minutes to an hour to go throw ball now it seems like 15 minutes the bowl and the tobacco are both getting hot I don't remember the make it rubbed off a couple of years ago

Jan 8, 2013
Virginia number one is the tobacco used to take 30 minutes to an hour to go throw ball now it seems like 15 minutes
Sounds quite possibly that your tobacco has dried out too much, if your packing and cadence haven't changed much. If it's very dry, it's going to burn very fast and very hot.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Six years is not old for a pipe. I have a few that are well over a century old that smoke wonderfully well. If a bowl that used to last 30 minutes is now lasting 15, it could well be that you're smoking cadence is too fast.
Slow down a bi and don't worry about the pipe going out. If it does, just relight. I smoke most of my blends dry, not dried out, but close to bone dry. Too much or too little moisture can make for a hot smoke. The three step method is fine, but keep in mind that it works best if the pack is looser at the bottom and firmer at the top.
You may just need a little time to get back in practice, so just be patient with the process and experiment with moisture, packing and cadence until you find the right combination for you.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Rollinggentleman - May I presume from your answer above that Mac B's Virginia No.1 was the same blend you smoked in the past, and without the "too hot" effect in this same pipe at that time?
While my next question will bring forth a wholly subjective answer on your part, do you feel at this time, that the moisture-level of your current tobacco is the same moisture-level by feel of the tobacco from your past smoking days?
As Anthony is quite correct that because of the generally higher sugar-levels and lower oil-level contained in the typical Virginia - when compared to the typical Burley - causes them to generally burn hotter and faster; especially the drier they are and the thinner the cut of the tabak employed.
Therefore, and with that in mind, would it be possible for you to secure a non-aromatic and non-cased White Burley tabak, and smoke it exactly as you would your current Mac B's #1, so that we can see if you get the same "too hot" effect with a tobacco which should, in theory, generally burn cooler for you than a Virginia?
If you are willing to perform that experiment, and you do not invoke the "too hot" effect with the White Burley, that would indeed indicate the culprit must the Virginia you are smoking; and at the rate you are smoking it.
If, on the other hand, you still invoke the "too hot" effect with the non-aromatic White Burley blended-in, this would rule-out the Virginia as the sole guilty-party.
From there - and following Mortonbriar's idea - I would like you to repeat the above experiment exactly, but with a totally different pipe.
If both the Virginia and the Burley both fail to invoke the "too hot" effect with pipe #2, then the culprit must be pipe #1 itself; obviously.
If however pipe #2 only gets "too hot" with the Virginia, and not the Burley, then the culprit is the Virginia; again,
If pipe #2 gets hot with both the Virginia AND the Burley, then we must then conclude that the problem is occurring due to your cadence, how hard you are drawing on the pipe, and possibly your bowl-packing technique; or some combination of all three of these factors.
Let us know the results of your experiments if you decide to run this mystery down. I for one would be most interested to learn your findings.
If it turns out to be the Virginia itself, I would follow what Anthony is intimating and hydrate your tabak a bit more; and possibly draw on the pipe in a lighter fashion; as the ever-wise and wonderful, Sablebrush52, is suggesting to you as a possible remedy.
In the meantime, and until we learn the results of your experiments, I will suspect Colonel Mustard, in the Drawing Room, with the Knife. - Sherm Natman

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Inspect your pipe

I mean really inspect it, a tiny fracture or split could be letting in air on the draw causing the tobacco to burn quick and thus raise the temp in the bowl. It’s a long shot but it’s also a pipe which you haven’t smoked in a while and things happen over the years

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Maybe it's the blend? I recently bought some VA #1, as it was my go-to blend many (10+) years ago. Back then (pre forum) I knew nothing about drying out, etc. rather just stuff and go, and I never had tongue bite or hot smoking. This recent purchase, coming back to VA#1 in over 10 years has burned the #*%$ out of my entire mouth every time I attempt to smoke a bowl, and yes the pipe itself burns very hot.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
col_mustard.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You may just need a little time to get back in practice, so just be patient with the process and experiment with moisture, packing and cadence until you find the right combination for you.
That. I'd guess the tobacco could easily be too moist if it's a fresh tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.