Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Listen up, you noobs and neophytes.

Once there was a pipe smoker's pipe smoker. A man of tremendous style and influence.

His name was Sante and he went by fishnbanjo in these parts.

1625484418945.png

His pipe collection was staggering and his pipe wisdom was, well, he'd forgotten more than you'll ever know.

Five years ago, as a tease and a joke, I began the "Fishnbanjo Day" celebration as a way to share my affection and appreciation for this individual.

Two years ago, Sante passed on, leaving us memories.

Join me in celebrating Fishnbanjo Day.

Get out your nicest or favorite pipe. Fill it with the good stuff.

Put on your hat and sunglasses. A "flat cap" if you have one.

Stand in front of your favorite tree. Get the furnace fired up and give us a shot of you "Keeping it smoky", as follows:

1625484294090.png

Keeping it smoky with C&D Pegasus in a Peterson Tankard.

Have a great day!

1625484831591.jpeg

Links to previous Fishnbanjo Day celebrations:

1st Fishnbanjo Day
2nd Fishnbanjo Day
3rd Fishnbanjo Day
4th Fishnbanjo Day

An archive of Sante's incredible pipe collection:

The Fish Files, vol 1
The Fish Files, vol 2

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Sante was a man's man...he was a hero in many respects and when Agent Orange took his life after so many years of pain and struggle...well... he will be remembered as a special guy. He was generous to a fault and refused to let others praise him for what he did and the help he gave...like I said, a special guy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hail to Sante! He was among the grand old men around here and a mentor to us all. He sent me my first and only Meerschaum, and I sent him a tin of Escudo with a few years on it to say thanks. I believe he passed on under that very tree. His spirit lives on.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I knew Sante, fished with him, and spent a few hours different times on my porch talking cane rods with him.
I’d argue against a few of the superlatives in the OP, but that’s fine. He was a good guy who dove into any and every passion with gusto and cash (and a generous heart).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I am not a pipe collector but it was readily apparent to me he had a highly respected collection. He was an asset to the forum.
Very true, but even more importantly, he was an asset to humanity. Even though Sante was fighting three cancers, and going through more tribulations than most men could handle, he conducted a great many cancer counseling clinics, and over the years helped thousands of people deal with their cancer. He was always available to help others even though death continually grasped for his soul. Nothing could dim his happy spirit, his love for others, and his dedication to being a good force in the world. He was the bravest man I knew, and I doubt I will see his like again.