PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Upon my second run through this thread, I'm impressed with the pipe rest and humidor as much or more than the pipes.

I'm sure there are more pristine examples somewhere, but it seems like a very nice display. Get those pipes refurbed by one of our guys, or do it yourself and it's all a work of art!

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
+1 for dave and oldredbeard. A treasure. I wish I had the like.
Plugugly

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I think you could refurbish the Kaywoodie yourself, take the dimensions of the jar so you can pick something up to fit the stand which is unique in and of itself, leave the rest of your great grandfathers pipes in the original jar along with pipe cleaners and such then place your own rotation on the stand, after you give it a light cleaning, a lovely tribute to cherish, congratulations.

banjo

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I think those are 40s-50s pipes. Mid grade. You'd be spending more to have them restored than they are worth in $$. But that said, it would be cool to smoke your old G's pipes.

They are all in decent condition to restore. Stems usually take a beating. Those look pretty nice other than being dirty.

Clean the humidor up a bit and use it for pipe cleaners or cotton balls or something.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I've seen amazing restore jobs done and these pipes do not look bad. If it were me, I'd have one done at a time(over time) and smoke them. But I'm a sentimental kind of guy on this kind of stuff. Should not cost to much each I would think...

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback . I think what I'll do is clean the Kaywoodie and smoke that one from time to time and let the others sit :) other than those I have two MM Cobs and hopefully a new Savinelli soon :-0 this is a great hobby and very relaxing pipe smoking,im glad to be here with such knowledgable people :) trying new baccys is very addicting as well lol

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
You are in the same position I was in three years ago. I had four or five of my grandfather's pipes from the same time period, similar quality and shape.
I read these forums and a few blogs, then made a decision to try and clean them up myself. I practiced on some junk pipes I picked up on ebay until I had the confidence to work on grandpa's. I didn't do anything major, just reamed out all the carbon and tar buildup, cleaned out the stem and shank and polished them up.

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
I May just ziplock bag the lid and just utilize the pipe tray and Glass holder for pipe tools.cleaners and such. The screw top has clay moisture thingy so I can throw that away or the nut has nothing to screw on

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
Had a very fair pricing offer so I just sent them all in for a clean and ozone treatment :) mailed out today once I get them paid and back to me I will post pics of the newly cleaned pipes :•]

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Cool, love the one with the star on the stem. But overall as has been said I nice looking lot. I for one am glad you are refurbing them. I wish I had a pipe that belonged to a family me,her. I would totally be smoking it. Enjoy!

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks :) they will be finished in about 2 1/2 weeks :•]. Cant wait to see the newly cleaned Pipes.

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
Ok guys finally gonna post the finished pictures of the beautiful work that Mike from Walker Pipe Repair did.

First off i am very pleased with the work and communication of Mike at Walker Pipe Repair,very fair pricing and quick return. And just a great person to communicate with courteous and kind. And i'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Look how much better they look now like brand new!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.