5 lb's At a Time, Ever Bought That Much?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I see in a few online sites that some blends, specifically MacBaren blends that one could buy 5 pound bags of one type of tobacco. Has anyone actually done this? Or is this more for a retail shop?

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I have not. Now that being said if some of the tins I smoked came in bulk I could see me doing that. Not for many blends but I can think of one or two.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I have made multi-pound purchases of bulks. Anyone who carries bulk (and has inventory) will sell it this way. Usually much less expensive.
The only downside is that it's a fair amount of cash all at once if your on a budget. But, the lower overall price justifies it if the blend you buy is worth having alot of.
You do need to be prepared to take care of a purchase this large too! I have 8 or 10 1gallon glass Ball/Kerr Pickling jars. They work well for bulk.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If it weren't crossing the border I'd easily get 5 lbs of EMP. Once you buy 5 50gm tins on sale in Canada and spend 150$, 150$ or even 250$ for 5 pounds really isn't that much money.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Any Canadians have experience ordering 5lbs at a time and know what duty might look like on that amount?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Duty would be crazy, no I don't have experience, it would still be cheaper but you would get hit hard. I think over a kilo they consider it for retailers, so you'd be paying big taxes on it.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
There's a short list of a few blends that I could see myself buying in that quantity someday. Usually I stick to 8oz purchases. With the variety I keep, that amount makes sense to me as it last me quite a while.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The large number of available blends has dissuaded me from laying in quantities of any one. So far, a pound

has been my maximum. Right now, the opportunity is to try as many different blends as possible within the

limits of ones tobacco use. I have a couple of cans of OTH blends, and a number of unopened tins. Right now,

I would feel five pounds was more of a sentence than an abundance. If the price takes a precipitous jog upward,

I might change my tune.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Yes..I also love HGL.. I've bought 5 pound bags for years.It has to be a blend that I know I really like though.I won't chance spending that much on a blend that I'm not sure I will smoke a lot of.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The most I've bought at one time was probably 3 1/2 pounds or so, and that was spread between about 3 or 4 different blends. The most I've bought at one time, of one blend, was 2 pounds of H&H Mazatec.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have bought 5 pounds of Samuel Gawith St James Flake at one time and the price was fantastic. His normal pound price was 58 a pound and then I asked for a discount and he gave me ten percent off so each pound ended up costing me 52.20 which for that blend is dirt cheap as I once bought 4 pounds of St James from PC and that was 68 a pound. Back then just getting your hands on St James was an accomplishment. I have also bought 5 pounds of SG FVF from the same guy and 4 pounds of SG Best Brown a couple of times. Those three bulk flakes are the only ones I have bought in that quantity.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Thanks to Harris I was able to get the 5 pounds of SJF at $54 each. This month I went a little crazy and bought over a dozen blends from all the vendors P&C, SP, 4Noggins, CI and pipestud. Spread the love all around. Well over 5 pounds... And still not done, putting one last order in before the New Year. It was a Harris/Peck night lols.
Craig

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
While I have never bought that much in bulk at one go, it would make sense for VAs or whatever you wanted to cellar for a while. Baccy will never go down in price.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
While building my cellar I have mainly purchased 5lbs at a time to save. I now have about 5 years worth and that's probably the best I will be able to do before the tobaccapolypse hits.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I am more of a slow and steady kind of fellow. Usually buy in 1-3 pound quantities. There have been a few times I have purchased 5 pounds, FVF and SJF, each one time. Back in the day when I worked as a tobacconist I picked up 5 pounds of the Murray's Nightcap for a steal. Still have some of that left.

Status
Not open for further replies.