PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
estate_lineup-600x302.jpg

I recently picked up these 5 old pipes as a mixed-lot for a buck a pipe. All are pretty filthy and need some TLC. Some I've ID'd, some I've guessed about and one I've no idea. Maybe you guys can lend some knowledge and let me know if I'm wrong?
First up is the much maligned Jobey. It marked Shellmoor PAT.3537462. It's very light, I like the prince shape. Too bad these guys have such a bad reputation. Holding out hope it'll be a good smoker.

jobey_shellmoor_160-600x245.jpg

Next is a no-name with a bunch of fills, simply marked London, England. It, too, is incredibly light and I dig the shape, though I don't know what kind of shape this is called in the pipe world.

london_england_02-600x290.jpg

london_england_01-600x324.jpg

london_england_03-600x195.jpg

I think this is an un-branded Comoy? It's marked 42, then beneath that making a circle is Made in London, and below that is England, followed by a capital N.

comoy_02-600x363.jpg

comoy_01-600x341.jpg

Here's a Briar Workshop, Stowe, VT pipe. No other markings. Very pretty with one small dent on the side:

briar_workshop_02-600x374.jpg

briar_workshop_01-600x308.jpg

A couple pics next to the maybe Comoy for size comparison--and filth:

briar_wrkshp_comoy_01-600x260.jpg

briar_wrkshp_comoy_02.jpg

Finally, one side reads The Pipe Rack. The opposite side reads #9438 London, England.

9438_prack_01-600x261.jpg

9438_prack_04-600x294.jpg

9438_prack_02-600x232.jpg

9438_prack_03-600x246.jpg

I'm really looking forward to cleaning these old gals up and seeing how they run. I don't know if I'll keep them all, but I'm sure at least a couple will stick around.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
The middle one in the first picture is a Charatan 1970-1980, the Mansell shape (named after the street where Charatan had its factory) shape no. 213.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Very nice haul. You've got some good wood right there. The stems too, are worth refurbishing.

An Eliot Nachwalther pipe for one dollar, not to mention the Comoys or Charatan!

I'm sure you will get offers to double your money immediately.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I'll absolutely post some pictures after these old pipes are clean. All the stems appear in good shape: no big dents or cracks. I'm already picturing how pretty these stems will be shiny and black.
kenbarnes, thanks for the info about the Charatan.! Now armed with a name and shape I can do more digging online. That's great help.
The Briar Workshop pipe has a little hole in the side--either original or from a handling accident. But I'd rather have a small, simple honest flaw like that than have it filled.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
You did very well at $5! I've always liked the Shellmoor sandblast. Ken already answered about the Mansell shape. The shape 42 is a Comoy's made pipe. Briar Workshop is Elliot Nachwalter, and dates to the late 1970's, and the Pipe Rack pipe is by GBD in the very popular (then and now) 9438 shape.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
When I saw the second shape I was thinking Charatan shape and Ken confirmed. Jobey's bad reputation is undeserved. It is the "Jobey Link" some people dont like. It is basically a screw in stem that can't be over tightened, if clean, it also allows you to pull the stem off and put it back on like a push stem. So you can always set the stem straight. If the tenon breaks just put a replacement the Link. However quite a few Jobey's were made with normal push stems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had a Jobey for six or eight years, and it's done okay. It is one of the old screw-on stems. The spot carving (drilled in pattern) is a little industrial, but a nice finish, attractive shape and stem, slender bands, and medium bowl make it an attractive package. Jobey has moved around a lot -- from France, to England, to the U.S., and finally back to France -- and that probably compromised quality along the way. But my pipe has done well enough, or so far so good. It's especially good with aromatics.
This is an interesting array of pipes seeming in pretty good shape, at an excellent price. A little restoration work, your own or hired, will make an impressive difference, I'd guess.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
The Jobey is a simple push tenon, so I think I'm lucky there. I do find its bent apple/prince shape(?) attractive. I wonder who the fellow was who owned these prior? His selection of shapes has grown on me. I shall restore them myself to a bit of their former glory. Won't be as classy as a professional could do, but I'll have great satisfaction doing the work myself. I'm already envisioning many relaxing evenings working the grime off of these pipes.
Thanks to all who have added to what I now know about these pipes! This forum is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.