PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
The society we live in has become jaded, we have forgotten the reasons that this country came to be. The Declaration of Independence concludes with the phrase:
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."
I am posting this early so that those of you who want to whine to the moderators to have this closed will have ample time to do so.
As a Viet Nam veteran, I learned the meaning of these words. I had the misfortune to be involved in a war that tore this country apart. The friends I had who were killed in Viet Nam are just as dead as those who died in earlier wars, they just died in the wrong place. I came home in August of 1970, I have been in varying degrees of pain for every day of the 44 years since.
Today, we are lucky enough to have a generation of young men and women who are still courageous enough to make the sacrifices that keep this country free. God grant that we always will.

2smoke

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Well said. When I am at an event and the Star-Spangled Banner is played I get a lump in my throat as I look at the flag and listen to the words. The 4th of July holiday is more that a day off

Of work and fireworks. It is a day where we as Americans should celebrate our freedoms that have been fought for and a day that we should remember the brave men and women

That have done the fighting and paid the ultimate price to ensure that we will continue to have those freedoms. In my opinion, the 4th of July and Memorial Day go hand in hand. You can't

Have one without the other.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
KCVET67, I'm with you brother. I did not serve in Nam but I did do two tours in Iraq one at the beginning in oif2 and later in oif7, both infantry, 1st ID 1-26INF and 10th Mtn Div 2-22. Neither were pretty easy tours but the first was the worst. 10 years later I too live in varying degrees of pain with loads of meds from the VA. My pipe has done more to sooth my heart in the time when it is quiet and the memories are the hardest than anything the VA gives me. Thank you for your service, for coming before and fighting for us.
-Carl

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
VietNam U.S.M.C. 1969 I too Thank You for your post I could not say more.

Welcome Home to all of us. :puffy:

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
God grant you ease, soldier.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I would like to thank all members here who are veterans for their service and sacrifice for our country. To those that served outside our country, welcome home. :clap:
RD

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
It's not much, but since I never served I send care packages to servicemen in the field and give to The Wounded Warrior Project.........it's the least I can do since, some gave all.

It's a LOT. Most of the men and women who serve overseas are very young, many of them away from home and loved ones for the first time. The packages that you and others send to them contain far more than the items you send, although those goodies are greatly appreciated. They contain renewed hope and a sense of fulfillment that goes far beyond the value of the physical items. Thank you for your support of the Wounded Warrior Project, they do a lot for those who have served us and our country.
Thank you to all of you who have served, whether overseas or here at home.
Welcome Home to all of us.

Amen to that brother.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
We do appreciate you guys for your service. I hope our service at the American Legion is of some service to you.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
I was pleased to hear "America the Beautiful" played as the intro by our organist at church this morning. Don't know that I've heard it before in a church setting.

Aug 14, 2012
KCVE: My thanks as well for the years you gave the sacrifices and the pain. I will remember you on the 4th.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
This thread reminds me of the homecoming parade I participated in after Gulf I. It was a great parade and folks lined the streets of downtown San Diego. Lots of pride in America. But to me, the best part of the parade was the Vietnam Veterans who marched in it. They received the loudest cheers from the spectators and it was well deserved. It took 20 years for those guys to be shown the respect they had earned from our Country and I have always found that shameful, but better late than never. It was an honor to march with them.
The Fourth of July is the most sacred of holidays to me and hats off to all who have served.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The flag waves proudly at my home. Whenever I see it, I remember the scarifics that the brave men and women have made for our country.
Thank you one and all, God Bless America!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
With all due respect to our veterans, let us remember who we truly need to honor on the Fourth of July: the brave men who signed the Declaration of Independence - who pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor. Along with them should be honored the men who fought for their new country, who served the new country in other ways - government, diplomacy, and so on - and the women who supported them by keeping farms and businesses going. Let us also not forget that there were women who disguised themselves as men and served, or supported the army in more active ways.

It is the heroes - and heroines - of that great struggle who deserve our admiration and praise on what used to be referred to as the "Glorious Fourth".

600px-Declaration_independence.jpg

784px-Washington_and_Lafayette_at_Valley_Forge.jpg

molly-pitcher.jpg

Surrender_of_Cornwallis_at_Yorktown.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.