PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I purchased 2 tins during the buy 1, get 1 promotion from P&C. Upon receiving it, I removed the cellophane package and put it unwrapped in individual Bell Jars. Last night I unwrapped and split one of the packages into 2 smaller Bell jars and the tobacco is so dry it crumbles. I tried to smoke a bowl and ended up tossing it because it was nothing like the description or the one other time I have given it a try. It was just shore of horrible. I contacted P&C but have not heard back. I am sure they are busy and will get back to me. But it begs the question: how are blends, such as this one and some of the Rattray's blends, which come in unsealed tins, stored in the warehouse? I imagine this blend does not move much until there is a special unlike Rattray's which goes out the door within minutes of it being listed in stock. This just seems inordinately dry for any blend other than Semois.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I won a box of the 4th Generation Aged Virginia at the silent auction at the show. It isn't available at retail just yet and is made by Samuel Gawith. It comes in a wooden box, like fine cigars. However, the only inner packaging was a foil-covered heavy paper liner. It seems like the tobacco would dry out quickly in this package. Maybe the production version will be different.
I was about to sit next to Erik Stokkebye at dinner on Saturday at the Chicago Show, but apparently he got moved from the cheap seats, as he grabbed his stuff and moved closer to the stage. Rob Cooper and his wife snagged the spots. Worked out great for me since they were celebrating their 20th Anniversary and Rob surprised his wife with a tiramisu cake, which was shared with everyone at the table.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
After several calls I finally heard back from a supervisor. The two open tins that are bone dry (missing one bowl each) are my loss as they don't accept returns or give credit for open tins, so was pretty much told to go pound dirt. The remaining 10 tins I can send back in exchange for 5 tins of MacBaren since these were on sale when I bought them. Way to treat a customer that has spent over $10k with you the last 12 months! I'm just going to toss them, but think I'm going to be spending my money elsewhere from now on.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Let me get this straight: they offered to exchange all the unopened tins you were unhappy with for something of equivalent cash value to the amount you paid for the tins, but wouldn't take back the opened tins (in accordance with their return policy), and you don't believe this is fair?
Sounds pretty straightforward to me, unless I'm missing something. Of course, you have every right to vote with your wallet and not patronize a business you don't like. I just don't see the beef.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This thread reads very strangely. Have some of the comments been removed from it? Very discombobulated.

+1

Let me get this straight: they offered to exchange all the unopened tins you were unhappy with for something of equivalent cash value to the amount you paid for the tins

I agree. This is standard operating procedure. Sounds like they agreed to make an exchange.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
If you read my post I outline 4 things, see if you can tell what really bothers me.
1) It took several calls and finally heard back from a supervisor (hours spent on phone with reps and on hold).

2) Open tins are my responsibility since it is my (the customer's) fault that I received defective product.

3) An exchange was offered for product that I chose.

4) I will vote with my wallet.
It's about the principle and how I like to be treated. Ignore the fact that I've purchased 700+ tins and pounds and pounds of bulk from them. If I go to a supermarket and buy a bag of potato chips, and after opening it, notice that they are stale, moldy, soggy, or in some other way not consumable, I would expect them to replace the bag of chips. P&C could call me right now and say that they will indeed take all of the tins back, but the sour taste has already been left in my mouth and I'd tell them thanks but no thanks. As I said, it's about the principle. It's their prerogative to save a few bucks and not go through the hassle of sending those tins back to the manufacturer to let them know about what may be a production issue, but it's also my prerogative to spend my money elsewhere.
PS: I'm going to elaborate that they may have know these tins were garbage to begin with which is why they were on sale. Though they are unsubstantiated and pure conjecture, I now have my suspicions.

This all very weird. The one time I had an issue with something that I received from P&C, the first person to answer the phone didn't even bat an eye, just told me that she was sending out a replacement. I didn't have to explain anything. I just told her, this thing happened, and that was that.

This was about four years ago. have policies changed?
But then, I don't go bringing every little problem I have with something to the forum's attention... like we care. And, shop wherever you want. I really don't care about that either. :puffy:

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, I ordered some tins and some bulk Anniversary Kake about a month ago, and when the box arrived, the bulk was MIA. I emailed P&C and they said it was probably USPS who broke open the box, but they still shipped out more Anniversary Kake the same day. No questions asked.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It's about the principle and how I like to be treated.

Now that makes sense. I better understand your frustration now. Yeah, that sounds like a bad interaction all around. Thanks for clarifying, I had trouble following the post at first. And I hear what you are saying about customer loyalty, having spent much money with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.