PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’m finishing my first bowl now. I‘m sure it’s a Mac Baren product but it’s not Stockton (aka Newminster 403). There is none of the Mac B “proprietary cavendish,” just regular DFK and bright VA. It strikes me as what a coin cut entry to the HH line might be like. The DFK starts off very light but builds quickly and picks up the lead by the half way point. It’s good and worth a try but at $28 for 50g this will be it for me.
Newminster 403 is not Stockton, either. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You have a point in that I don’t know for sure that they are the same thing. I do know that they look, smell, taste, and burn identically for me.
I get more molasses sweetness with Stockton. Also the coins of 403 are slightly smaller than Stockton. It’s pretty close but I can tell the difference... also 403 tends to burn a bit hotter or nip a bit more. .. to me it’s a bit more like halfway between club blend and Stockton. Probably the leftovers rolled up ?

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Mine should be arriving soon, but since where I am in Cali just got smashed by snow, dunno for sure. I hate to spend that much for 50g....but I had just gotten paid....

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I don't mind spending a bit more from time to time on tobacco. I do the same with whiskey, cigars, dinning out. I once spent $70.00 on a 2oz tin of Penzance. I found it was good and that there were a lot of cheaper blends that are just as good . I wouldn't have known that if I didn't spend the money and for me worthwhile.

Ted Vig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2019
Saint Paul, MN
Maybe this is like 1931 flake. It tastes ALMOST exactly like MB Navy Flake.
I am not trying to start any unfounded rumors but, some of the “special” offerings from 4th Generation have come from GH. When I saw the construction description, I thought this might be from them. ??
Definitely Mac Baren.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'll take some pictures and brief tasting notes, but I am not a super taster. If there's a subtle difference to do with -I dunno- time in the press, component sourcing, or, like, the brand of rum in a topping, it's gonna go right over my head.
If they are that similar they are the same IMO.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
To my tastes, they would be. But there are those who insist they can sense such subtleties, and I have no reason to argue with them.

From the maker's side, little tweaks to a formula - like, say releasing the flake and the spun-out version of the same thing, or putting a bourbon barrel stave in the tin - can fairly be called different things in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.