PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Horrible customer service. Used to be great but they let the business and customer service go to shit.

Reactions: DangerStranger
Right now 5 To 7 business days is normal for getting vendors of any sorts to respond. The metalsmith and lapidary vendors are overwhelmed with orders, parts are harder to find or just as slow getting shipped to them. I have two flexshafts out of service till one of my guys gets more of the rubber shaft covers in. An $8 part!
Anyways, I don’t find it hard to believe that some small shop tobacconists are delayed.

Reactions: lawdawg

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
I agree with you to a extent. That's where customer service comes into play. If there is packaging delays it should be noted. If the tobacco is not in stocks, don't sell it. Answer phone calls and be honest.
I am going to give them a order next month but I hope the issues they've had has passed.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
They ship anywhere, which makes them quite exceptional. So far I ordered twice, arrived in the Netherlands within 10 days or so, outstandingly well packed .
This was when Rich was in charge . Jeff does not reply mail, unless I ( reluctantly ) asked if foreign customers
are not appreciated any more. There were some check out issues with the shipping bit too ; charging $69,00 shipping to the Old World seems a trifle extravagant . That issue is now solved. So far, so good, wonder what will happen a next time.

Reactions: cohibajoe and Kal

stoutreader

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
Virginia, USA
I have had two orders from them recently. The first was a little slow in shipping, enough that it caught my attention. The second, more recent order, was very quickly shipped. I will say if I tried to contact a business, especially several times, and didn't receive a reply that would be the last time I did business with them.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have occasionally ordered from 4 noggins. When I was in WA, you get what you get, as mentioned previously.

As much as I disliked Rich, he ran a much tighter ship there, in my opinion.

If I'd had the OP's experience, I would be done with them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
At my law office, we get quite a few clients who expect quite a bit of communication (and time) on a small matter.

For example, I recently had a client call in with a simple request to prepare a few deeds to transfer land to her son. Didn’t need anything else, just wanted to transfer property. I prepared them at a total fee of about $300, and when she was ready to sign, she wanted to confirm that this transfer will protect her land from Medicaid claims if she has to go into a nursing home or has other long term health issues. I walked her through the generalities as best I could and let her know we would have to spend quite a bit more time to work out that arrangement for her. She didn’t want us to do that, but just to confirm that the deeds would accomplish the job. The answer is “it depends.” She was frustrated that I couldn’t give her Medicaid planning type results without actually doing some Medicaid planning.

We also get real estate closings where there are a ton of legal issues with the land, and everyone expects us to work out easements, deceased parties’ interests, and so on basically for free because we’re “handling the closing.” This is stuff that can cost thousands of bucks to do, but because people already have an expectation of what the closing costs should be from their lenders and realtors, nobody wants to pay for this stuff. It’s an uphill battle sometimes to get people to understand why it needs to be done. “Well that driveway has been in use for 75 years! Why wouldn’t we have the right to use it?”

I’m not trying to squeeze money out of them, but that’s how it gets treated sometimes. I have more work than I even need, and I appreciate that the majority of our clients are very reasonable with their expectations of our time, but there are a substantial minority with unreasonable expectations.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Placed an order on Tuesday, not shipped yet.

I’ve had orders that shipped the same day and one time it took 7 days.

• Sad
Reactions: Reggie

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have an order that has not been shipped, placed 3 weeks ago. I've sent several emails, no response. This is the norm with 4noggins, unfortunately. It's not the first time. Oh well, I've yet to not receive an order from them, but there is zero communication with this company.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have an order that has not been shipped, placed 3 weeks ago. I've sent several emails, no response. This is the norm with 4noggins, unfortunately. It's not the first time. Oh well, I've yet to not receive an order from them, but there is zero communication with this company.
Yeah, 3 weeks is way too long. My post above was directed more at the original post faulting them for not shipping within a few days.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I found 4noggins to go night and day different on me a while back, I assumed new ownership. I stopped using them months ago when they suddenly started taking far, far, FAR longer (than their peers) for a delivery (from Northeast US to Northeast US), and also went mute on the customer service end. I neither know nor care what changed, as a consumer. As a consumer, I moved on to other businesses that deliver in a timely manner, and do not list tobacco as in stock, and then use out of stock as an excuse why I waited weeks for it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and lawdawg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a tough business online with some retailers doing incredibly strong customer service, like SP, Al Pascia, WV Smoke Shop, and others.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
It's a tough business online with some retailers doing incredibly strong customer service, like SP, Al Pascia, WV Smoke Shop, and others.
I like to use businesses that I don't even know how the customer service is because I don't (or shouldn't) need it. My final straw with 4noggins was selling me tobacco they claimed was in stock, then weeks later after finally answering my inquiries, saying the delay is that it was out of stock. That's both customer service failing _and_ a business failing to begin with.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Agreed. Just received a shipment where a tin was dented bad enough to break the seal. Asked for a replacement or refund and haven’t heard back. This was 3.5 weeks ago. ?

Reactions: ram74

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I've never had an order stall, been lucky I guess, but I'm certainly hesitant at this point. It's one thing to be email silent when you are busy filling orders. It's another altogether to be silent and NOT filling orders.

Reactions: Kal

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
I'm kind of new to this and never ordered, but I live nearby in CT and asked if I can order online and pickup. No response yet.

I will say it would be nice if they added an "out of stock" filter to exclude those items. Browsing through items and running into countless that aren't in stock is frustrating and time consuming.

Reactions: anotherbob

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
I guess nevermind. They're located in CT, but won't sell to those living in CT. I guess I have to get a PO box in NY to order anything. Kind of odd...

KBaz

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
Living outside the US they are the go to for tobacco.

The shipping is not the fastest but considering the alternatives.

The issue I have is more the lack of the “hot” releases.

I am never in a big hurry for stock and considering their shipping policies they are my go to.

Sad to hear others have concerns. But I guess it’s relative as you have multiple vendors to work with.

Reactions: Brendan and jp267nh