3 Year Journey: Complete Set of Continental X-Series (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Congrats Dave ! I'm glad to see you were finally able to put a 12 piece set together ! The Continentals were however not just available through mail order-- maybe at first when those shapes were put into production they were available only by coupon in the Westbrook,Emperor and Sculptura lines, but they were available in the regular production--non coupon lines such as Viscount,Starfire and Eldorado. They were even made in some lines that-according to the shape and availability charts--they were not available in-- Color Viscount,Silver Duke, Regal and others.

Over the years Grabow made a lot of pipes that supposedly were not available--according to the charts-- such as saddle bit 81's, Golden Duke 85,Commodore Oom Paul and many other "odd ball" pipes.
The coupon pipes were given XO shape numbers while the regular production lines (meaning sold in retail stores) were given standard shape numbers. The XO numbers were never stamped on the pipes,but the regular production pipes will sometimes have a stamped shape number.
Now,you what I'd like to see Dave? 12 piece sets in the Westbrook,Emperor and Sculptura lines. :) Might not be to hard to find the Westbrooks but the Emperor and especially the Sculptura would be.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wow...that is really something Dave. Congrats on putting that collection together...and preserving a piece of pipe history.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks fellas. I restored all 12 of these as I brought them into the fold. I used a small Redbull can to reshape several of the damaged rims. Perfect fit for the rounded rims. I figured showing resto pics of all 12 might be a bit much.
@Ed

Thanks for the update Ed. I tried finding the back story of the Continental on DGCF without luck. You're right, a set of Sculputra Continentals would be an epic collection. I believe Tom is the only person who has an Emperor #25. They weren't officially made. 4 of these in my set are Emperor's.
Someone asked what's next?
I'm hunting down all 6 shapes of the LHS Special Make. I just posted my latest addition in the LHS show off thread. I have 2 of the 6 now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've only heard of these pipes available by mail order only. I think they still offer these from time to time, but you can't get them unless you visit the workshop or are in touch with someone there. It's sort of like the mythical white buffalo. You have to go on a spirit quest and fast for ten days before you get to see the vision of these pipes. But seriously, this is an amazing feat to corner a set like this and put them in restored condition. I'd love to get just one new from the factory, to say I'd done it. These have incredible shapes and finishes, the ultra Dr. Grabows. Really something.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
The pipe collection is beautiful; it's your obviously tenacious feats of effort I find impressive. :clap:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I thought this thread was going to be about tires... :wink: Nice looking pipes Dave.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Dave, late to the thread but I have to tell you those are some fascinating pipes! I had no idea the Doctor ever made these styles! Congrats on getting them all---- I would love to see a picture of those wire carved styles.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's an outstanding collection that was well worth the effort to assemble. Very nice indeed!! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.