PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I have to agree with strongirish on this one, I like A little more cake rather than A little less

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
goodkat - I tried putting my hand over the bowl to make a vacuum the other day, and I'll be damned. It works very well! I noticed that Bootleg naturally holds his hand half over the bowl and he never seems to relight so I figured I'd give it a shot. That's something I never would have thought of on my own!

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Three things I've learned:

1. Select a bowl

2. Fill it to the brim with a great blend

3. Always carry a pipe tool, a fluid filled zippo lighter and if necessary a back-up lighter

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@digitalshave

Just wondering does #2 apply with Grabows that are supposed to be "Pre-Smoked"?
Yes. It still applies. "Pre-smoked" just means they have started the process of building cake, and you need to continue it.
@juni

But how do you know when a pipe has the appropriate amount of cake?
It's personal preference, but most "experts" say the thickness of a dime. I also think I recall hearing that once you get to the thickness of a nickel, that you might be too thick, or that is the upper limit.
A cake too thick will potentially damage the bowl by putting too much pressure on the walls.
The creating a vacuum trick that is being discussed is similar to what participants do in slow smoking contests, but they use the tamper. I'm not sure if the rules allow one to use their hand as described here.
It is a pretty cool trick though.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
1. Pack your pipe properly and it will smoke well.
2. If a pipe doesn't smoke right for you, toss it, trade it or modify it. Some knuckleheads will tell you to "get to know your pipe" and its properties. What a steaming pipe of advice. If a pipe doesn't smoke well for you, do one of the above. Pipe smoking should be a good experience.
3. Never ever light up your pipe if your prison cell mate is bigger than you, horny and hates it. Ever. Wait and smoke in the yard.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
haha Haunted! I missed your posts while I was away!
I took two pipes that smoked about the same for me (okay, but not great) and smoked them the same number of times with the same tobacco (1Q) one I wiped out after every smoke and the other I left alone... I must say that I dislike having a cake! So #1 and #3 are great, but I will pretend I didn't see #2! :D

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
This may be one of the best Top Ten threads on here so far. :clap:

I'm using my tamper less and more lightly than ever, and seeing results too...thanks Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.