Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I learned three things this year that have improved my pipe smoking experience.
1. Clean Your Pipe After Every Smoke
I mean once you are done with the pipe for the day. Sometimes I will smoke one bowl and I am done with the pipe. Other times I will re-fill it right away and have a second bowl. Once I am done with it and want to let it rest, I make sure to dump the ashes, blow through it to clean out whatever is left, and then run pipe cleaners dipped in Bacardi 151 through it until they come out clean.
2. Do Not Wipe Out the Bowl
I used to gently wipe out the bowl with a paper towel. I had pipes that were several years old with no cake. Now that I stopped wiping out the bowls, they are starting to build better cake which results in a cooler, tastier smoke.
3. Do Not Tamp on Every Re-Light
I used to tamp every time I re-lit. The pipe smokes much better if you tamp only when you have to because the pipe won't re-light. I've found that I can usually re-light 3 - 4 times before having to tamp. Also, tamp lightly, not too hard.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think that's all good advice. Although I and a couple of other guys have advocated wiping the bowl after a smoke

I (we) should hasten to mention that this only applies to the break-in period where a slowly built-up cake will be

very durable.
#3 is very good advice (IMO).

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Agee strongly on #1, at least to point of cleaning after each smoke. It wouldn't be convenient for me to use liquor on the cleaner every time, but a few times a year I do give everything a "deep cleaning" with that method.
#2 and #3 I agree with entirely.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Fine advice....I really do find that ( for me ) cleanliness is next to godliness....at least as far as pipe smoking is concerned.... :puffy:

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
ditto

let the tool do the work and dont work the tool.

if tamping needed to be firm the the tamper would be heavier.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I do all three also, except for dipping the pipe cleaner in Rum, I just run it through dry, although I like that idea, and I think I'll try it.
I once in a great while will wipe the bowl very gingerly with a slightly twisted paper towel, but not all the time that's for sure.
Also I agree to only let the weight of the tool do the tamping.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
great advice!

one other piece of advice i would just toss in there is, you can always pack tighter as you smoke, start loose and try from there.

i when i first started, i was packing too tight, now i notice that different tobacco pack a little diffrent to get the best smoke from

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I am starting to develope a cake on some of my briars. I do wipe them out with a paper towel on occassion. Usually I just brush off any ashes from the side walls with a pipe cleaner. I don't like to get ash in my mouth. I clean my meers very clean though the whole alcohol routine; with the pipe cleaners and paper towels. Thanks for the good confirmation on cleaning method.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
@ Kevin be sure to run a little 151 through yourself occasionally also. :rofl:

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I would say "Cleaning your pipe" after every smoke. As I tell my friends - why would I put a beautifully marbled steak...cooked to perfection on a dirty plate. Then complain about the taste of the steak - Yecch!

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Kevin be sure to run a little 151 through yourself occasionally also.
LOL!
On blowing through the pipe...I keep a can of compressed air handy. I insert the nozzle and "blast." Does a great job.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I used to clean with alcohol after each smoke, but the pipes can get a taste from it if you do it too often.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
i use graves grain alcohol, it's like cheap everclear (or expensive rubbing alcohol LOL)

as for wiping out the bowl, what i found works best for me, is give the old pinkie a lick, run it around, then wipe the finger with the towl, i started building a cake right away, but i also had a precarb bowl to start with

Status
Not open for further replies.