PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I'm on droid at the moment & of course havr one hand dedicated to holding pipe & phone. Forgive my being lazy & not searching. I just finished an hour & a half of concentrated joy on the 3NG; if you've tried it I'd really like your opinion on. Not *quite* the "original" 3N, but to me it *is* dang near a blast from, etc. What's y'all's take??

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have no problem financing my pastime, but on principle, I refuse to pay $14.35 for a 50g tin. However, I'm glad to hear that the blender(s) at Mac Baren have yet another hit in their product line.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’ve posted this before but I am honestly struggling hard with three nuns green. I’m now over 10 bowls in different pipes. I thought for sure I would enjoy it but it’s been a struggle.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I really think that Savinelli Doblone d’Oro has ruined me. I can’t help but compare the two and I’m in love Doblone, so maybe the 3 Nins needs to sit a year or so.
Btw, I really like the 3 Nuns yellow. That one is a good summer hot temperature smoke with ice tea or my favorite Fanta pineapple.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Npod: Doblone d'Oro is closer to the old VaPer Three Nuns than the Green. The Green seems a little more like the VaKy Three Nuns Orlik produced before MacBaren took it over. Did you ever smoke the VaPer version? If you did, then that might be why you prefer the Sav blend.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Jim, Yep. That is exactly the issue. I had the fortune of smoking quite a few tins of the VaPer 3 nuns in the past. Thus, I have that in my mind, and that’s why Doblone is a go-to. My palate is no where near as robust as yours, and I know that you and others think highly of this new offering (green). So I keep trying it and I did get more to put away for some aging. I honestly think the summer heat here in Atlanta May be playing a role. When it’s hot and muggy I tend to not “taste” tobacco as well as the fall or winter.
And maybe the yellow, with a slight sweet topping, is tasting very good right now. I’m reaching to that more often, but it’s too soon to tell.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I figured you were comparing to the VaPer Three Nuns. You have the same attitude as I do about Doblone d'Oro, which is the closest thing to the old three ladies I have found. In fact, it tastes more like an aged Three Nuns to me.
I think the Green and Yellow both will age well.I found the Green worked best for me in a small bowl, like a Canadian. Give that a try. And, yes, humidity can affect your smokes at times. It's less humid here in N.C, than Atlanta, but at times, it's durn near deadly.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I may need to try the Sav too, then, since the old 3n was a really great blend. It's a not-hot afternoon now (~88°) & the yellow is really nice, agreed!
Following up, since I never did, on the green, I'm usually getting an hour & a half or so out of an average bowl, & it consistently smokes well all the way to the bottom.
Cortez, I agree that ~15 is a little steep for 1.75 grams, but I did want to compare with the "regular" blend to see how different it was. I like it a little better,but both *are* definitely worthy to me. Won't replace BF & Chimney Smoke as my everyday, but no way I'm ditching them for the cost, especially since I do like curly cut.
Thanks much, guys. I REALLY appreciate your thoughts! :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Higher prices are the future, gentlemen...
I have seen enough price increases in the last six months to conclude that $15 isn't that outlandish anymore. There are some blends like Salty Dogs that are even more expensive for 50 g.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i am 75 remember 3 nuns from 1960's - mostly coins very little fill - today it is the opposite - dont like todays blends.

back then i would stack those coins flat in my uncle's dunhill he gave me - sit back along with him & smoke our hearts out - never see that again.

pipe smoking was the thing back then the old codgers walked around with the same pipe for years didnt even wait for them to dry out - so do i now but do run a cleaner thru after each smoke -

yes mostly everyone i knew smoked 3 nuns , amphora, a good cherry - restaurants, bars, cafes, sidewalks, parks even in his motorboat while fishing.

3 nuns was my favourite along with london dock - yah - who would smoke a dock but it was well known - never a short supply of the 3 nuns not like esoterica.
12.30 - after midnight - time to end the nostalgia
- ps - $15 is cheap - try 40 canadian - retailers here renovated their cigar & pipe tobacco shops only to be shafted forbidding smoking even in their shops ALSO forbidden to offer a free sample even just a pipe full.

my rant is over !!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
BTW,I totally get the rant. Plus whenever I see a Canadian post, I remember what my bud Mike T.'s told us about prices up there. :(. Y'all truly do have my sympathies.

Aug 3, 2018
I have no problem financing my pastime, but on principle, I refuse to pay $14.35 for a 50g tin. However, I'm glad to hear that the blender(s) at Mac Baren have yet another hit in their product line.
That would be considered cheap here in Europe, lol. That being said, I'm not sure about the availability of this one here, I haven't see it anywhere.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
London dock is good cheap hitest dark rum in these parts , 57 percent alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.