$29 Dunhill- Rough, but Oh the Stories She'll Tell!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Well I just pulled the trigger on this old Dunhill. I know many will laugh & scoff, but that's alright by me. I didn't have to rob the kids college fund for it!! :D

Something about it spoke to me............ :crazy:

The stories this one could tell.............

1920/21 era Shell, shape #59. Looks like original stem, but the dot has faded, its visible in a few photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-DUNHILL-PIPE-smoking-FOR-PARTS-REPAIR-REHAB-england-AS-IS-shell-TOBACCO-/371597818171?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=y2tDxKj6nXvor8a5x%252BP51Icj3tQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Score! I really like the wire band work. If that pipe had a yearbook, I would write... "you are awesome, don't ever change".

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Not seeing the white (or otherwise) spot, but I'll bet georged could turn that into a valued prize.
Bill, the spot is there, look closely at the third picture. Certainly worth contacting George, after seeing this, I don't know what the man can't do...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/replacing-missing-wood-heavily-damaged-patent-dunhill-pic-heavy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What is too laugh about? That pipe is way cool, incredible blast, nomenclature is pretty good, so you may have to replace the stem, no biggie for the price you paid. I cannot wait to see it refurbished, great score.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Yup. Send that to Georged. We will all be jealous of how little money you have in a 95 year old Dunhill.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
That pipe's a pig alright ... I love it.
It'd almost be a shame to restore that; it's awesome as is! Just buff and wax the stem and clean up the button and smoke that sucker. Especially for the price!
How cool. :puffy:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's worthy of mounting on the wall, just as it is...Then get a refurbished duplicate, to smoke it till it's in that condition. Now there's a goal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Before and after pics could tell quite a tale. This looks like it was smoked daily for years, but if its owner didn't ream it badly, it may have years left.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
It's fabulous. Obviously some old boy's favorite pipe.
What a piece of history.
Beef, if you clean it up, and left it as is, I would applaud you. If you go full resto I'd applaud you just the same.
Please let us know what you decide to do. (Just post up some pix afterwards.)
Fnord

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks for all the comments fellas!

Although I don't have pipe in hand, I've got a plan for the old survivor.

I think I'll (gently) clean her up and smoke her as is......

To me, just looking at the pics, this ole pipe has got a story to tell! It beckons to be smoked after all these decades....

Reminds me of an old, worn-out hunting dog who looks at you when lying on the porch, sittin at your feet. You can see in his eyes that he wants to go another round, battle scars and all....

Reminds me of some old veterans I know, they still got that twinkle in their eyes, they wanna go one more time...... even if their bodies disagree..... God Bless Them!!

Yes, I'm gonna smoke this one, just as she is, baling wire and all, when I have some "me" time, unrushed, with the wind in the leaves and the night sounds all around me, and I'm gonna listen,..........REALLY listen, this pipe has a story to tell and I can't wait to hear it............ :puffy:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't know how many times I've clicked that link now...But I also downloaded a picture of it now...is that weird?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Pipes are for smoking, at least that's my take. I got a Dunny for $37.00, and spent some cash getting a nice stem made for it. It was worth the effort, as it is a really good smoking pipe. You should enjoy it as you wish! But I would get a new stem, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.