PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
This is first, and hopefully not last review. The issue I have is I lack an ability to translate the taste from a tobacco to words that really describe the essence of what I'm smoking. The tin was gifted to me from the manager at the B&M establishment I frequent. I know there is no more around as this Mfg had stopped producing blends. First the smell, OMG it was pure barnyard, covered in tomatoes, with a bottle of vinager. If he hasn't sworn I'd love it, well I'm not sure I would have fired up a bowl. Tastes well the beginning of the bowl still had a bit of vinager, but then the Virginia's took over, not all bright hay and grass, though there were high notes, it seemed to deeper and richer as I went through the bowl. So smooth with maybe a medium strength, not as much FVF, but so smooth, I didn't want the bowl to end. In have to say this was the most pleasant virgina smoke I've had in my short time back on the pipe. It's tough as when this took is gone there is no more. Can't imagine what this blend would be like with age on it. I think I came back to pipe smoking too late. No Mcclelland in my small cellar. If any one knows a some that is close, I'd appreciate the heads up.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
There is nothing close. That was my number one tobacco. Deep, smooth, nutty sweet Virginias, with the Drama providing spice and a little floral quality. With age it gets even smoother, with the vinegar dissipating and just going from perfect to extra perfect.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I just finished my first of two tins of 24. It was rich and warm, almost had leather notes in the tobacco. I think the Drama gave it a musky flavor compared to my other straight Virginias. It indeed was good but I have smoked bowls of Opening Night or CVF that have been just as satisfying. Haven’t smoked enough for a comparison, but I imagine nothing will compare. I’ll enjoy my last tin in a few years, if I don’t get the itch to smoke it again.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Even the Drama Oriental Series was good by itself. Gives me an idea, will mix with my favorite, #27.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
McConnell Scottish Flake bumps up against some of the same elements . It sells out fast but at least it's still being made. A dirty virginia with a little oriental to beef it up.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Thank you all for your thoughts, I will look out for the McConnell Scottish Flake!

Status
Not open for further replies.