PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
"Cost is a big motivator"
I have not had a single smoke in 8 months, I have about 4 bowls a day. Cigs cost me around $300 a month. I kept track of all my pipe an baccy purchases and put the savings aside.
I now have $1,300 saved for a future fishing boat. I guess I have around 6 lbs of baccy now, have wanted to order more, but when I do, I just open the "mad cash" envelope and that satisfies my TAD.
Stay at it, cigs are just plain nasty, pipe smoking isn't something you can do easily as a cig and that will limit your bowls.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
If you can't go cold turkey, then its baby steps and breaking the routine of smoking.

When I gave up, I worked out the times that I smoked and made sure I was doing something else.

Break the habit and the cravings slowly go.

Congratulate yourself on what you have done, not worry about needing a ciggie at some point in the future.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Congrats on the quitting, I gave them up 9 years ago and quit cold turkey. As mentioned above did not smoke anything for a few months and taste returned. I took up cigars and inhaled ONCE, and after barfing up both lungs, have never done that again. Now with premium cigars being introduced on the hour it seems and prices easily over 100.00 plus a box, I have now moved from cigars to pipes, prices are much better and many great blends to try.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I agree with quitting cold turkey. It's the only way I was able. I quite in 1981 after I caught a real bad cold. I had that cold for over a week, and didn't smoke the entire time.

When I was well, I just wanted to see how long I could go without a cigarette. There were times I would talk myself into lighting up, but always put it down before I could actually light up. Will power. You needs lots of it. For a long time.

I still want a cigarette when I have a cup of coffee. Even when I smell coffee. But now cigarette smoke actually takes my breath. The wife smokes cigarettes and can't seem to quit.

When I first started smoking, a pack of cigarettes cost .35 cents with tax at the 7-11, so I used to get my cigarette money by stealing cartons of empty soft drink bottles off peoples back porch. At .02 cents for each one, it didn't take long. But now that the cost is like $5.35 a pack, you have to be crazy not to try your best to stop.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
First off congrats. Secondly, the OP is not an idot, he's asking for help and advice. Idiots don't do that. Unless you've been addicted to a chemical, you're in no place to berate someone. My guess is that many people here have an addiction to either sugar and/or carbs but make no mistake, it IS an addiction. Lastly to the OP. Have you considered Vaping? eCigs? I know several people who have lowered their nic from 24 down to zero. I am an odd ball here because I both vape and smoke pipes but have never smoked cigs. I just really like pipe people and I like the vape experience too. Keep going and if you slip up, don't beat yourself up, just get back on it.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Wow I have seen this thread going for almost 2 days noe. Really must be the longest 24 hours of your life. LOL!
Congrats

Status
Not open for further replies.