PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent

Finally had a moment to enjoy a bowl of the 22 year old McClelland Oriental 1.

Wow. You can really smell that ketchup smell that the pipe veterans among us tell of the McClelland brand. Luckily it does not translate to any discernible taste in the smoke.

Very oriental heavy on my palate. I get a hint of Latakia which is a surprise as I figured the age would have totally dissipated that smokiness.

It's an incredibly smooth smoke. The Virginia's are still there but not as grassy... the Orientals are the real star here. Very tangy. All in all it has benefited from age. I'm really glad I was able to find this and finally experience the brand. However that being said it's not worth the inflated price. This, to my admittedly novice palate, is very similar to Elizabethan mixture with a small hint of Latakia.

If you can find it and swallow the price by all means treat yourself and if not... don't sweat it.

I plan on stocking up my cellar with some more Elizabethan. My dollars will be better spent there. Stock up until Armageddon.

If you have a mother in your life be sure to spoil them. I'm going to finish this bowl in the shed of solitude and pray my little one sleeps long enough for me to do so.

Happy smokes in peace my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I enjoyed your revi

Wow. You can really smell that ketchup smell that the pipe veterans among us tell of the McClelland brand. Luckily it does not translate to any discernible taste in the smoke.

Very oriental heavy on my palate. I get a hint of Latakia which is a surprise as I figured the age would have totally dissipated that smokiness.

It's an incredibly smooth smoke. The Virginia's are still there but not as grassy... the Orientals are the real star here. Very tangy. All in all it has benefited from age. I'm really glad I was able to find this and finally experience the brand. However that being said it's not worth the inflated price. This, to my admittedly novice palate, is very similar to Elizabethan mixture with a small hint of Latakia.

If you can find it and swallow the price by all means treat yourself and if not... don't sweat it.

I plan on stocking up my cellar with some more Elizabethan. My dollars will be better spent there. Stock up until Armageddon.

If you have a mother in your life be sure to spoil them. I'm going to finish this bowl in the shed of solitude and pray my little one sleeps long enough for me to do so.

I enjoyed your review. The McC's I've tried have been great but also imo not worth the hassle of finding or paying premium. I have a couple rares I like but most are fairly available. I have a bit of Samsun left I enjoy but once it's gone it's gone. And Sillems Black easily replaces Frog for me personally, and may even be better imo. I have a tin of Beacon Extra I haven opened yet, this summer will be the test. Cheers!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BryLogan

Lurker
Jun 5, 2021
Washington, DC

Curious; if you’re just “finally” trying this blend, how do you know that “it has benefited from age”?

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
22 years ago I was smoking a bunch of the green label McC - it was 14, not 1, but I’d bet the #1 is mellower than mellow at this point, probably a pretty fair smoke.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
Curious; if you’re just “finally” trying this blend, how do you know that “it has benefited from age”?
Should have been more clear. From the small amount of reviews I could find they remarked on the fact that it was a little rough around the edges. From the multiple bowls I've had none of that comes through
I meant it was smooth. Admittedly I don't know anything. It was the smoothest tobacco I've ever experienced. I'm assuming it's due to being old. Apologies if I came across as a connoisseur or a tobacco sommelier. I know less than nothing. Maybe someone was using my family's brain cell when I wrote the review.