Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I had a fantastic day at the pipe show with a great friend of mine. Was Able to pick up a few tins of tobacco and 2 pipes. Ended up with a Mark Tinsky 2014 Christmas pipe, and a really nice stanwell. I also had the pleasure of meeting Hoosierpipeguy, great meeting you my friend!
View attachment 164061
What is the shape number of that Stanwell? It's got more of a bend and a bit leaner than the shape 63. Maybe a special? Nice one!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
It was. I was a little disappointed on the tobacco offerings though. There didn't seem to be near the amount that there was last year.
I was thinking the same thing! There had to be at least 10x the amount of tobacco last year. I had a great time, got some good people, and learned a ton from several of the vendors and attendees.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
It was. I was a little disappointed on the tobacco offerings though. There didn't seem to be near the amount that there was last year.
I was thinking the same thing! There had to be at least 10x the amount of tobacco last year. I had a great time, got some good people, and learned a ton from several of the vendors and attendees.
Well, when @hoosierpipeguy sells half his cellar to one person the first day and in time to buy the purchaser lunch, a lot of the goods were depleted fairly early.

I say this in jest with a smile. Nice job in unloading a cellar. It's suprising to hear the tobacco selection was smaller than expected.

Maybe I'll be able to go one year. I enjoy the pipe community despite not enjoying the public.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
Well, when @hoosierpipeguy sells half his cellar to one person the first day and in time to buy the purchaser lunch, a lot of the goods were depleted fairly early.

I say this in jest with a smile. Nice job in unloading a cellar. It's suprising to hear the tobacco selection was smaller than expected.

Maybe I'll be able to go one year. I enjoy the pipe community despite not enjoying the public.
Last years show likely had so much more because it was the first major show since Covid. I bought a ton of great aged stuff last year but didn’t find much I wanted by Saturday afternoon.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I believe it was both. Wasn’t a whole lot there.
I would echo @VirginiaMan's sentiments. There was a derth of quality tobacco and the prices for what was on offer was higher than the show last year. I showed up with money to spend and walked out with just two frankly overpriced tins. Overall, shows are great, but comparing 2021 to 2022 these differences were obvious.

Jason

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I got to hang out a bit with hoosierpipeguy and got to buy a few things from him also. I also got to meet Shane Ireland from C&D out in the courtyard with Mark and talk tobacco for a while which was really cool. I joined the NASPC while I was there to help support them. I'm glad we stayed over this year so we could relax a little. We got the opportunity to talk with everyone and hang out instead of rushing home. We are definitely going back next year.
Here's one of the pictures someone took for us.
The 3 of us without the cowboy hats came over together and we met the gentleman in the cowboy hat there.
It was fun and everyone was really great and friendly.
Resized_20220819_194045.jpg

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I got to hang out a bit with hoosierpipeguy and got to buy a few things from him also. I also got to meet Shane Ireland from C&D out in the courtyard with Mark and talk tobacco for a while which was really cool. I joined the NASPC while I was there to help support them. I'm glad we stayed over this year so we could relax a little. We got the opportunity to talk with everyone and hang out instead of rushing home. We are definitely going back next year.
The 3 of us without the cowboy hats came over together and we met the gentleman in the cowboy hat there.
View attachment 164296
As someone who usually smokes alone at my house, this is the real purpose of a pipe show for me. Was I disappointed that I couldn't score deals, yes. However, always great to have a bowl and share experiences with other pipe smokers. I'm glad that you had such a great time.

Jason

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
View attachment 164296Hanging out with you, Shane and his associate was a treat for me. That's the best part of the pipe shows by far.
Hanging out with you, Shane and his sidekick was a treat for me. That's the best part of the pipe shows.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Great show! I was the one that asked you about the Kaywoodie restoration I was doing. I should have introduced myself but I didn't put 2 and 2 together my friend. I'll catch you next year!
Well, I am glad we met nonetheless. Nice talking to you.
As to the tobacco shortage, I talked to a number of vendors who said they brought too much last year and took a lot home, so many of them brought less this year, only to discover that the demand was up, and regretted not bringing it. These things are hard to read sometimes.