PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In the fall of 2019 I bought a kilo of HU Director's Cut as part of my last successful order from Esterval's. @JimInks placed a similar order about the same time.

When the order arrived I wasted no time in fixing myself a bowl and lighting it up. It was awful. The blend's balance was off. So much dark fired had been added to the blend that it fairly overwhelmed it. Jim agreed, which led to Hans Biederman, who had created the blend, being contacted, and after smoking it, he agreed that it had been changed. K&K has since adjusted the blend to remove the extra dark fired.

I jarred the kilo with the hope that some time would settle the dark fired and perhaps allow the Perique and other components to shine through. If the blend didn't improve I would toss it in the trash. Win some, lose some.

I opened a jar today to see if it had changed and am happy to report that the dark fired has indeed settled down and the Perique has bloomed. While not quite the same as the Director's Cut I first enjoyed, it's a pleasure to smoke and is now a superb Va/Per.

Sorry trash can, you're out of luck!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Glad to get some feedback a few years on about this blend...and one could maybe assume that other blends which have had their dfk increased could have matured similarly? I always like your observation about the PS flakes being released too early, and that is why they are cheaper, the 4 years or so storage “costs” have been shifted to the buyer

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
In the fall of 2019 I bought a kilo of HU Director's Cut as part of my last successful order from Esterval's. @JimInks placed a similar order about the same time.

When the order arrived I wasted no time in fixing myself a bowl and lighting it up. It was awful. The blend's balance was off. So much dark fired had been added to the blend that it fairly overwhelmed it. Jim agreed, which led to Hans Biederman, who had created the blend, being contacted, and after smoking it, he agreed that it had been changed. K&K has since adjusted the blend to remove the extra dark fired.

I jarred the kilo with the hope that some time would settle the dark fired and perhaps allow the Perique and other components to shine through. If the blend didn't improve I would toss it in the trash. Win some, lose some.

I opened a jar today to see if it had changed and am happy to report that the dark fired has indeed settled down and the Perique has bloomed. While not quite the same as the Director's Cut I first enjoyed, it's a pleasure to smoke and is now a superb Va/Per.

Sorry trash can, you're out of luck!
That's good news for me. I'm glad Hans listened to me when I let him know DC was changed, because the original was awesome. The current version is in-between the original and what we bought back in 2019.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I ordered two kilos in 2019 also. I didn't mind the blend as I had nothing to compare it to, not having smoked it previously.

I added roughly 15% PS 311 Perique to the amount I had set out for smoking. Gave it a nice Perique edge. But I had noticed that the original blend was settling well too.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
This is indeed good news. I have some of this blend cellared and waiting.

I think cellaring might help many blends that are "over DFKed" for lack of a better term.

I noticed Savinelli's 145th anniversary blend has improved with age. The first half of the bowl is just fantastic and then the DFK takes over again for the second half. Hopefully more aging helps the second half improve.

Reactions: Servant King

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Good to hear, I’m on the fence about this K&K “DFK”. I put the quotation marks because I’ve tasted and seen it (blackish chunks of broken flake) in a few blends but to me it doesn’t taste like the DFK in DFK bombs like Lakeland Dark, Dark Birdseye, or even ODF and Motzek Dark Twist.

Jun 8, 2022
Athens, Greece
I had a similar experience with Director's Cut. In 2018-2019 I smoked the stuff almost exclusively, and then one day... it was just off. I recently found an opened tin in my cellar from the dreaded batches of fall of '19 (surprisingly in very good condition, having in mind that it was in the original tin), that I had buried in the depths of my mind (and cellar) out of desparation. It was very good indeed. The Dark Fired had mellowed, the rough edges gone, the perique has worked magic and the virginias were deep and sweet.

I'm glad Hans listened to Jim and we have something that -at least- remind us the original (that was insanely good, in terms of general balance).

Reactions: JimInks