PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Much to my delight Rhodesian Nose Warmers have been showing up regularly this year. If you like to spend time outdoors these little gems are hard to beat. Not really a small pipe, I’d classify them more as “compact”. Their bowls are about the dimensions of a group 4/5 pipe but the short shank and bits give them an overall length of 4 ½ inches (+ or – a little), perfect for fitting into your breast pocket with nothing hanging out to catch on things. The short length and the flat saddle bits allow them to be easily clenched when your hands are needed for other things. Usually pipes in this configuration are few and far between but this year they have been hitting the market on a monthly basis. Here are three examples I picked up this year, all by different carvers. All share the common theme but each in its own way. I’m hoping the trend continues, I could never have too many of these.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Which one is for Andrew's Pt? What's your Plum Island choice?

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I really like that GIO. I've never been a huge fan of nose warmers, but that one is speaking to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very nifty. I may look at those at the TAPS pipe show Saturday, among many others. After about forty minutes, I look like I'm stoned, and I am, on pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
deathmetal, the hallucinations look like little Latakia people and their Perique minions dancing on the light fixtures. And how much for this stubby Rhodesian, Mr. Artisan?

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Those three are amazing looking pipes but I cannot imagine smoking them, but that's just me I'm sure.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The Morgan is an Italian pipe made exclusively for Chris Morgan (Black Jack line) and is available on Ebay @ $115 on a regular basis, The Larrysson and the Gio are one off pipes and sold for what you would pay for a good grade of Peterson or Savinelli ($150 range). For years I used the French made versions of the GBD 9438 (Bent Rhodesian) for the same purpose but they only show in the marketplace in very limited numbers. A short, rugged pipe with a full easy draw, a decent sized chamber and a textured finish is the perfect pipe when your in the field or on the stream. Now that I'm retired I have a lot of time for both.

I have yet to experience hallucinations from the Balkan, Vaper or Burley blends I usually smoke in them but I'll let you know if and when that changes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Closed thing I have to a Stubby Rhodesian is a Big Ben Barbados. Short, Stubby, and a great smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.