PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Hey guys! Having gleaned so much info from all of you. I've decided to actually join the forums. Hope to hear from you all soon.

I'm a big fan of Maltese Falcon, shortcut to mushrooms, hyde park, sherlock holmes,

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
White:
Assuming your "question" ("What new blends would you recommend?") was implied by your subject title, I'd encourage you to first do a search here for blend recommendations. Chances are, in a discussion of Maltese Falcon other alternatives also get mentioned.
I'm only saying this because folks are constantly asking for blend recommendations and those answers are stored here. And if some of the same folks reply, they'll reply with the same answers.
That said: You say you like Maltese Falcon. So. . . why not explore more of the Pease range?
Bob

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to the forums, rabbit. I heartily endorse pretty much anything by Greg Pease - what to go for depends on your tastes.
BOB - one thing I forgot to ask. I eventually enjoyed MF so much I have 8oz in my next order, but I think it ghosts quite strong. Have you found that, or am I imagining it?
Andy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. Bob gave good advice. I would also recommend that you think about where you want to go with your smoking. If you have access to a B&M, speaking to the tobacconist is a good start. Being here with the rest of us is always a grand idea but if can also join a local pipe club you'll get first hand advice and a chance to try what others are enjoying. Don't be afraid to experiment and always have fun with it.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Happy Smoke Rings.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Andy: I don't recall any kind of ghosting from my previous experience with Maltese Falcon. But I also dedicate my pipes, so it's only being smoked in pipes that see English blends. . . and I'm not sure a ghost would appear.
As it happens, I'm currently working my way through an 8oz tin myself. Which means it's the only English blend my English pipes will see for some time. I'll have to check back with you once that tin is done and I've moved on to the next blend.
I will mention, though, that for me very very few tobaccos actually ghost a pipe. I think the fear of ghosts is way overblown here. Yes, the Lake District blends are prone to do this. And I found that Sutliff's Great Outdoors is notoriously good at ghosting. But I think we need a different term for the kind of afterflavor that lingers for only 3-4 bowls once you change to a different blend. . . because that's to be expected. I'd never call that ghosting. To me, a true ghost requires salt-and-alcohol to eliminate it. Or another powerful medium.
Bob

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the clarification, Bob. It is a case of hints of MF for a few bowls, so after-flavour is exactly right.
Andy

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Ooooh. Salt and alcohol is quite the cleaner . Never had a pipe ghost that bad. I have some stokkebye bullseye flake that I'm pretty stoked to try. We'll see how it goes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5313/peterson-hyde-park
If you like Hyde Park, alot of the reviews mention the lakeland essence, so I'd give some G&H blends a try, such as Rum flake, Kendal flake, grasmere, glengarry.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 rmbittner
Bob is right, use the search on the right of the forum page and check other posts about blends you like. I basically find all my future blends by seeing what other people say about the ones I like and what are similar.

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Oooooh, rum flake looks nice, might have to add that to the list, say is there a spot on the forum to trade bits of tobacco? Because that would be super cool.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
The question is whether you want more of the same -- that is tobacco similar to what you already like -- or if you are looking to expand your horizons a bit.
If you are looking to expand your horizons, I see that your list does not include any blends with perique, and you should probably give some a try if you have not already. Escudo is a classic Virginia/perique blend that has many devoted fans. And, you may wish to try a blend that has latakia (since you like Maltese Falcon) and perique. GL Pease Quiet Nights might do the trick.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
whiterabbit, welcome to Forums. I think you will be well entertained and occasionally informed (if not by me).

For tobacco blend recommendations, you need only to keep reading. Something is always being boomed up

or shot down, debated or extolled. Look at some of the sampler packs on the sponsor sites. Usually these

are offered in categories -- English blends, Virginia, aros, etc. I'd recommend those that offer small quantities

so you can sample at a lower price. I'd prefer ordering one sampler at a time, rather than a subscription, so

you only end up with the quantity of tobacco you can smoke while it's fresh. For other suggestions, keep reading!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Here is a random list of off the cuff recommendations. This is not my "Best Ever" list, just seven I'm enjoying right now.
C&D Black Duck

McClelland Grand Oriental Drama

Peterson University Flake

Samuel Gawith Navy Flake

McConnell Scottish Blend

Pease Caravan

Rattray Jock's Mixture

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
LOL if you like Hyde Park then my recommendations probably won't work for you, as that stuff (I can't bring myself to call it tobacco) makes me want to gag :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I see that your list does not include any blends with perique, and you should probably give some a try if you have not already.
He has LBF which has perique and is an amazing blend. So if you like LBF then explore some other perique blends, but it's a great smoke with a bit of sweetness. Personally when I started smoking I just explored, order one ounce packages of stuff you think you'll like, or even just to give it a try. At roughly 3$ an ounce you really have nothing to lose. Come to Canada where an ounce of tobacco is almost 20$ and then you can complain if you don't like it.
LOL if you like Hyde Park then my recommendations probably won't work for you, as that stuff (I can't bring myself to call it tobacco) makes me want to gag :)
This is why I think some lakelands are in order.
say is there a spot on the forum to trade bits of tobacco?
Yes it's the buy sell trade section.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/buyselltrade
technically you need 100 posts and it says no post padding, but the amount of ridiculous posts people make and unwarranted threads it's kind of a grey area on what padding posts is. The "what are you smoking thread" is a great place to pad your posts.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That's an expensive sampler pack there, I'd go with one like this http://www.eacarey.com/988.html
10 tobacco's for cheaper and the same overall amount. There's also good sampler packs for 20$, I can't remember which site I saw it on at the moment.
Also Rich at 4noggins will always throw in 2 really nice size samples of any tobacco in bulk, and it's a damn good generous sample. Cup o joes though the one time I ordered from them they stated they put 2 once ounce samples of the blend's I'd asked for and there was maybe enough for one bowl. So it kind of ticked me off as if I got hit with duty I would of paid up the a$$ for 2 bowls of tobacco.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on what Perique said. Carole knows her stuff and in a few minutes conversation will put together a sampler pack you're bound to enjoy. Her tobaccos are top notch and worth every penny. www.vtpipes.com

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Point on Perique, this is so true about P&W just received my 13 favs last week should last until spring. I know Carole tends to be a little expensive but I like you deal with her and her only and she has no problem custom blending for you! I would kill for Gotham Court and Gramercy Park. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.