2 Year Old Mac Baren Navy Flake... What a Difference!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
One of the first tobaccos I bought when I started smoking pipes around the fall of 2017 was Mac Baren’s Navy Flake. I probably fried my newbie tongue a few times then let it sit for a few months. Tried again it was still hard to smoke etc... put it away didn’t really touch it for almost 2 years.

Tonight popped the jar, smell was great, rubbed out and let it sit for an hour or so. Wow! Totally different experience. Great stuff, lots of flavor not scorching me. The rum is there the sweetness all I hoped was there when I read about it originally.

Possibly, it could be that my technique has improved since I started. Possibly, the age of the tobacco could have made it much better. I suspect it’s a bit of both.

Time to buy and cellar a few more navy flakes! Enjoy.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Following up.... now smoking Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake from Jan. 2018. , while. A little more tolerable!, not really something I dig. Kinda a blah smoke for me. Navy Flake is better IMHO.

Could need more dry rime before smoking (rubbed out and only like 5 minutes dry time). Back in jar for another year we’ll try again.

Reactions: Bowie and Casual

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Following up.... now smoking Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake from Jan. 2018. , while. A little more tolerable!, not really something I dig. Kinda a blah smoke for me. Navy Flake is better IMHO.

Could need more dry rime before smoking (rubbed out and only like 5 minutes dry time). Back in jar for another year we’ll try again.
Dark twist is one of my favs. Do you like dark fired? It needs quite a bit more drying than that from my experience.

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
I've had this blend in my cart 3 times and pulled it out. Every since buying GH rum flake I've been scared lol as it is way too flavored so it's sitting in a jar (found out it was considered an aro afterwards.) I know this is burley based but how would you compare it to PS navy flake (excluding the perique factor) and Newminster navy flake?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s an odd one because the outside can feel dry but there’s a lot of moisture lurking in the roll.

Reactions: jttnk
Status
Not open for further replies.