PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Is there any trick to unscrewing the and putting them back in correctly to thoroughly clean the mortise on a meerschaum pipe? I don’t want to mess with it and end up having an mis-clocked stem or other issues.

Never done it and don’t know if the pieces are glued or screwed in or what to be aware of, but I know a place where I can ask ….

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
The clear or white threaded things or are you talking something more? Pics are always recommended for ? like these.

Reactions: verporchting

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yes, the white Delrin pieces commonly used in meerschaum pipes. Twist clockwise and remove the stem without removing the tenon or unscrewed counterclockwise removes the portion either in the stummel and/or the stem as well (not recommended for daily cleaning). I’m not sure, never tried to remove it that way.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Constantly removing them will wear out the threads in the meerschaum. Are yours stuck?

I don’t think so but I wanted to understand what to do before messing with it. They look exactly like your photos below. Just pretty dirty and I keep getting tar out on q-tips and pipe cleaners so I thought it would be time for a thorough cleaning with them out. I’m sure there’s some build up where I can’t reach with the inserts in. Shouldn’t think it would be necessary to deep clean very often as I usually just run a cleaner through after every smoke but I’ve never bothered to remove the inserts.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yes, the white Delrin pieces commonly used in meerschaum pipes. Twist clockwise and remove the stem without removing the tenon or unscrewed counterclockwise removes the portion either in the stummel and/or the stem as well (not recommended for daily cleaning). I’m not sure, never tried to remove it that way.
I always put on or remove by twisting clockwise so I don't inadvertently unscrew the pieces.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Sometimes you need to use pliers on the outside of the screw in to grip it enough to screw it out. They really don’t need to be taken out unless gnarly dirty or broken. When you want to put it back in just twist it right until it stops twisting and you’re just spinning the stem.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
My first Meer, purchased at a mall of all places and lasted about a week, I was told by the wise old gent, rip, always turn a Meer clockwise. It stuck and always have and always do, some it doesn't matter but these types I think it does.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Also, they're still fine to use if broken, depending how it's broke. My mortise insert has been cracked all the way down for a while now, still works just fine. I did have one crack around the circumference right at the cap and that made the connection wonky, replaced it and this one cracked down the length, but haven't bothered to replace it and it's been at least 6 months with daily smoking.

I've never replaced the tenon in the stem though. Anyway, holds just fine and not loose in spite of the crack.

PXL_20240125_010947383.jpgPXL_20240125_010724626.jpgPXL_20240125_010851852.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Where does a fella buy a few replacements? I’m a fan of being prepared and having a spare or two on hand. Because Murphy and his damn law.

Reactions: peteguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Thank you, gentlemen for your kind assistance. I unscrewed the Delrin quite easily, and as suspected, found a not insignificant amount of hubastank residing in the mortise that couldn’t be cleaned with the insert in place. It’s clean now and should be much improved! It was beginning to taste foul and I suspected there was nastiness lurking in there. There was.

Attachments

• IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 9