2 Duns, 1 Laxey Meer Resto Project (Ahi Ka-Humblepipe Collab)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents, venerable New Zealander, Ahi Ka, and yours truly (nonexotic North American) are collaborating (World peace just might be possible!) on a few fine specimens. Ahi Ka is skilled at finding and acquiring some old souls with lots of potential. My job is to restore. Let us see how this works out. Here are some before shots of a 1967 Dunhill Shell Briar, 1964 Dunhill Root Briar, and an interesting Laxey (made on the Isle of Man) meerschaum. I have not touched them yet. This truly is happening in 'real time'. I will circle back after restorations are complete.

IMG_5245.jpegIMG_5246.jpegIMG_5247.jpeg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
First all black Meer I've ever seen- unless it's an insert. Still, gorgeous restoration.
What did you use to blacken the balding spots?

And I surmise you were able to get about a pound of cake out!

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
First all black Meer I've ever seen- unless it's an insert. Still, gorgeous restoration.
What did you use to blacken the balding spots?

And I surmise you were able to get about a pound of cake out!

After some cleaning, I realized the Meer was black and not dark brown, so I used black dye only where absolutely necessary. The cake in the Duns' bowls came out with ease. The cake in the Meer's bowl was fossilized and super challenging!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Great job(s). That ‘67 is my Birthyear, if you had it on eBay a few months ago i probably would have been foolish enough to severely overpay for it, I’m not bright but I’m honest ?

Reactions: Humblepipe