PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doktorziplok

Lurker
Apr 8, 2013
while browsing menard's, looking for tamper fodder, i found some turned pegs next to the dowel rods. i picked up a two pack and headed over to the plumbing department to match up a copper cap.
this is what i came up with:

EA451644-95BC-46CC-801C-C56C8A7CA04D.JPG

the pegs need to be trimmed a little; a few seconds with a hand saw.

C6915EC2-ED70-462B-8105-B8B00DAAB7EE.JPG

the cap slides on a little tightly, friction would probably keep it there...i added a couple drops of epoxy just to be safe.

photo.jpg

this is just the beginning! some staining or flaming or painting and a finish coat are needed.
the pegs were 2 for ~$1.75 and the copper cap was $.89. not too shabby, i say.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
astrange1
I dont think rothnh meant anything harsh by his post. I think he was just sharing his opinion. I think that if you hang arount a while you will find that he is one of the most helpful members on the forum. That has been my experience at least.
edit: nevermind, comment gone

doktorziplok

Lurker
Apr 8, 2013
You know what -- slap me silly, but I don't see what the draw or interest is in tampers at all.
Sorry, super silly to me.
I use the business end of my pipe tool. Always have. The last thing I need is another item to add to my damn pipe bag.
Tamper = a pretty toy, both unnecessary & useless IMO.
dang, rothnh.

i think you're entitled to your opinion, but i disagree.

cool things, like tampers, are one aspect some of us enjoy.

k?

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My motto is always to each their own; until it's their way or the highway... lol Personally I don't have a single one, I just use my pipe tool or the one that pops out of the bottom of my old boy. However I saw one on here made from an antler and shell casing that would be pretty awesome. Especially if I took some hide from the buck I got last fall and made a pipe rollout and some tobacco pouches. Sure would go well with my moccassins :wink:

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I should have also commented on the original post. I really like it. Is copper cap soft enough that you could leave a little space between it and the wood so it could be kind of domed? It would look really nice stained dark to contrast the shiny copper.

doktorziplok

Lurker
Apr 8, 2013
I should have also commented on the original post. I really like it. Is copper cap soft enough that you could leave a little space between it and the wood so it could be kind of domed? It would look really nice stained dark to contrast the shiny copper.
i suppose it is soft enough, although you'd have to find a form to pound it against to get it into the shape you want. the thing i liked about the 3/8" cap (as compared to the other sizes) is that it was flat. the other sizes were convex.
agreed about the dark/copper contrast. i'm trying a blue/black mix, in an attempt to match my favorite fountain pen ink (waterman's blue-black).

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That is slicker'n snot !! I like it! May have to head for Home Depot! I love tampers and pipe tools. Have maybe 2 dozen,some handmade,some factory made.Love making them as well. I carry a Czech.Keep a couple here on the desk made by members of this forum. Got a couple of pipe nails down at the work bench.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm with Ed, Herr Doktor. I love a tamper and I use pipe tools, nails, digits and, my favorites, a couple of deer antler/cartridge casings one of my best friends made for me.
Your Menard's idea is clever as hell. Well done, man.
Fnord

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
i'm a big fan of the large-flat headed nail. a la this:
Panning_Nail_MID2.png

cheap, replaceable.... and useful when you've a friend around you'd like to scar.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I love tampers, too. I mostly use a Czech pipe tool so if I loose it I can replace it easily. Buy I keep the handmade ones in a drawer where I know where they are and use them often when I'm relaxing indoors. Love the variety of styles and colors and textures of handmade ones.
The hardware store idea it a great one! Love the look of copper on anything and really like it on this. I, too, may have to try this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.