PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
Just acquired 'very cheaply', a 1950's Kaywoodie Super Grain Billiard with a saddle bit...however, it was missing the stinger.

I didn't know that at the time because the bidding was almost over, and no time for questions...so I took a chance, it was dirt cheap.
Now I love Kaywoodie pipes, and in fact I don't know why I bother to buy any other pipe, I must stop wasting my time on inferior (to me) pipes :roll:
But now getting to the smoking sans stinger....so far I don't like it at all.

I know it's only one bowl, and my opinion may change, but so far...stinger all the way!
I will admit the draw is a little bit easier, but seeing as how I never had an issue with the draw before, this becomes a non-issue with me.
The smoke is not as cool to me sans stinger, and I can definitely notice more tar ... so I will make sure that in the future my Kaywoodie pipes have the famous (to me anyway) stinger.
Well, that is my opinion anyway.
Ranger6 Out.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I just tried smoking the pipe again, and it was worst than the first time I tried it....I know a lot of guys like to remove the stinger, and to each his/her own, but I just don't get it?
I can't even smoke this piece of crap pipe now, it has been completely ruined, at least to me it has.
I have to sell this thing as it is causing me nothing but aggravation...horrible!
Ranger6 out

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Try contacting UA. I've seen a picture of a pile of them he has laying around somewhere! :lol:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have several both with stingers and circumcised. Glad to get rid of them 300 pipes are taking over the house. 8O

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have several both with stingers and circumcised. Glad to get rid of them 300 pipes are taking over the house. 8O

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
Okay, Calling unclearthur, unclearthur are you in the ready?

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
This is a nice looking Super Grain, I estimate to be from the 50's/60's....I paid $10.00 for it, I cleaned it with the supersonic machine etc. and it is in pretty good shape....no camera, no picture...will sell for same, plus whatever actual shipping cost is.
As stated before, it is a billiard, with a saddle bit.

Super Grain in cursive over Kaywoodie on left side, on right side #21...clover is in the stem...and the bit has some teeth marks on it, but I was just going to put a rubber over that if I liked the pipe.
Rest of pipe (sans mouthpiece) appears to be in very good condition.

Oh yeah, little bit of carbon on top rim...but I like that 8)

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I'll try again to load picture....if this doesn't work, go to my pictures and you will see a picture of 4 pipes, the Kaywoodie in question is the pipe on the far right side.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/ranger/album/picture/2559
Ranger6 out.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Hey, Ranger if you're looking for some Kaywoodies I have a few to let go from the forest. Like an unsmoked White Briar with the price tag still on the bit, 4 hole stinger. And an unsmoked Durobit.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I had to try it again, so this morning I am in my third bowl, and I just don't like it....my other Kaywoodie's I can smoke all day long without an issue...this thing sans the stinger, I have to run a pipe cleaner through it after every bowl,

in fact, I just got a big glob of tar juice which I never, ever get with my Kaywoodie with a stinger.
This pipe smokes hot, and wet....I just don't understand why so many people remove the stinger?

I believe that it is the dreaded sheep syndrome.
Anyway, this pipe is history!

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
jcsnaps, I am interested in Kaywoodie's, but not the two you mentioned.

Any others?
I sent you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.