Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
In an overly generous gift of some very old briar (for another time), @ashdigger included this little Meer. I'd never thought about getting one (this one inspired me to get an IMP not too long ago - good decision!), and was intrigued by it. I decided to get it some TLC because I wanted to make good use of it. Seeing a recommendation on here in a post somewhere by @Chasing Embers, I spoke with Rich at Briarville and sent this one off for three things: (1) getting the original amber screw in stem to fit - it was loose and a little cockeyed from years of love, (2) making an acrylic stem that I would use instead of the amber and (3) a thorough cleaning. So excellent work Rich!

Mission accomplished. The pipe looks great, the original amber stem fits square and like a glove and the new stem is great (using it right now and the bit he fashioned is perfect. I was trying to select an old fashioned blend for its inaugural voyage (for me) and Tim suggested Capstan Blue. I just happened to have a tin I bought a couple of years ago but for some reason had never tried it, so I popped it open and let it air a bit overnight, dried a little bit of it this morning and . . . nice. The pipe has a sweet/sour bit of ghost and that and this blend are really good, but about halfway through the bowl, the ghost effect has seemingly disappeared now and the blend is still really good, so now another one on the "keeper" list.

Tim had volunteered to date it for me, but I decided it would be more fun to see what I could come up with based on the hallmarks once it came back, and it showed up yesterday.

The silversmith's mark appears to be R&M and no good matches from pics online, but one source suggested Rendel & Matthews which fits with the date and matches their description. The anchor had me looking into Birmingham and the unique "Y" pegged this at 1898, which I think is pretty cool. It pairs nicely with some coffee out in the Shire (garage) this morning.

This pipe was a gift, I knew it was likely early 20th century but for me, pretty exciting to find out it is (just) 19th! Fun stuff.

75C3BE2E-1494-4104-A1CE-36619238169E_1_201_a.jpegBF770F66-6145-40B4-AFF9-3316D40DEEEF_4_5005_c.jpeg